Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I just want to encourage everyone to stop by and see us. We welcome every level of wood worker. If you have some questions and want to learn how to attempt to take on a new project, Kyle or myself will be glad to help. (Not saying we know everything, but if we do have some experience we will be glad to share it with you) ...It seems every time someone comes out we try and teach them something about turning, furniture, slabs, or finishing and we truly enjoy doing this. So if you are bored on the weekends feel free to come out and hangout with us some. Please feel free to ask us some questions, look around some, and see all the new updates and addition we have made to the shop, mill, equipment. We are there pretty much Monday through Saturday til 5:00.
Look forward to see all of you soon..
Also guys, we are thinking about having some classes or demo’s at the mill on some of the up comings weekends, if you can think of some idea’s or projects that a few people show some interest in we will plan a weekend and tackle some new projects together…
Chris Brittain
sawmillnc.com

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
A while ago Kyle tried starting a "Piedmont Craftsman Guild" (or something like that).
Any thoughts of resurrecting that idea? I think it's a good one.

pete

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would enjoy a demo on the mill itself. Take a tree and mill it into rough lumber then stacked for drying. I know how it all works, just never seen it in person.

Red

Yes we want to Start the Piedmont Wood workers Guild again...if anyone would be interested we could do a sawmill demo and show everyone what all is involved in selecting a tree, Using the different types of equipment and actually sawing and stickering it.....Let me know if you would be interested in this firrst class.... we can plan a weekend...

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yes we want to Start the Piedmont Wood workers Guild again...if anyone would be interested we could do a sawmill demo and show everyone what all is involved in selecting a tree, Using the different types of equipment and actually sawing and stickering it.....Let me know if you would be interested in this first class.... we can plan a weekend...

There was a lot of interest last time. Quite a few showed up for the meeting.
I'd suggest starting a separate thread to get the word out.
Kyle_s_5.jpg

pete

Dragon

New User
David
I'm interested. Maybe something like that will give me the umpf to get out there and away from all my projects around here.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would be very interested in the Piedmont Woodworkers Guild. Hopefully it is something that can happen. Keep us posted.

Red

Thanks so much for the response, I'm going to speak with Kyle and see how quickly we can get something planned.

I'm guessing the first class will be how we pick a tree, fall it, transport it to the mill, and then explain how we saw it, all the different ways to saw it, and explain were all the different cuts come from in the log section. Then if times permits we will show you how to stack and sticker it and place it on a rack to start the drying process.

If this sounds ok, please just let me know...... We can always delete steps or add some if everyone aggrees. This first class will be a free, but please just let us know how many to expect...Also in the next 6 weeks if a certain Saturday doesn't work for you, please let us know so we can try our best to accommodate you and everyone else.

Also, we will probably demonstrate how the huge Lucas Mill/Slabber works and slab some huge walnuts or Maples we have....Kind of crazy to see a 9' chainsaw bar being pushed throught a 40"-50" wide log x 12' long....

AJV

New User
A.J.
I highly recommend a visit !

A friend and I went out there last weekend and a 1 hour visit turned into 3 hours. Kyle and Chris run a nice operation and couldn’t be nicer guys. Hearing about all the things they have planned out there it will only get better. Wanted to say thanks to Kyle for spending a ton of time talking with us and showing us around, he went above and beyond of what I would have expected. Of course we came to buy some wood and we got some great Cherry, Walnut and the best piece of Birds Eye Maple I have ever purchased. All VERY reasonably priced.

Definitely going back soon to get some wood for my next project.

Only Word of Caution – Watch your speed driving on Rt 16 – Police have some nice hiding spots, just ask my friend Jon :cry_smile

A.J.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I don't think "free" is the proper way to describe it. Everyone will probably leave with a lighter wallet!:wink_smil

Well I went down last week yep you guessed it wallet was empty when I got out of there.
Great time don there

Chris I used your tricks for the first time today on one of the blanks I got from you worked wonderfully.

Thanks Mark

The Date is set for the first Piedmont Wood Workers Guild.....It is going to be the third Saturday in March which is March the 20th.

We plan to process a tree from standing to drying...... The class will begin at 10:00am Saturday and probably run til 4-5:00.
Please wear old clothes and water proof boots. It's a farm with lot's of cows.....so watch out for pooo....lol.

Rain date will be the following Saturday the 27th, if we are washed out....

Address to Mill:
5048 Reinhardt Circle
Iron Station NC 28080...

If you have any questions please feel free to give me(Chris) a call at 828-994-7333.

It should be a fun day of of playing in the mud and processing some lumber...

We will cover:
- Selecting the Right Tree
- Transporting
- Sawing
- Different area's to get different types of lumber, ie (quartersawn, flatsawn, grade sawing, flitch cutting).....
- Stacking and Storage options
- Stickering
- Kiln Drying
Bonus= We will slab out some 45-50" wide Walnut slabs Also....

For lunch we will do a lunch run or BYOL and drinks....

Look forward to see everyone, if you can count on here so we can maybe plan on how many to expect....That would be wonderful....

Best Regards,
Chris and Kyle

Aj, I will remeber to not tell them about the fines until after all the wood is purchased.....lol. Glad you didnt find any more smokies on the the way home....Thanks so much for the kind words....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors