The Saga Continues - Look at post #13 Hot water heater help

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Problem.... I have a 16-month-old electric hot water. It is set at 130. Today I went to wash my hands and it was way too hot. I did a temp reading, and it was 170. I know there is a pressure / temp "blow" value. Any know what temp it will "blow". Anyone have any experiences with this issue?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well just talked to the plumber who installed it, of course, they can't come today. Anyway, he claims it is probably an element gone bad or thermostat. Since it is supposed to be under warrantee, and I am not the best plumber, I will let him deal with it. The breaker is now off.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.
that is good info i've never thought about it that way. may need to turn ours down

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thermostat. Elements can't turn on by themselves.
I believe current code is 125 max.

Breaker off was a very good move.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Thermostat. Elements can't turn on by themselves.
I believe current code is 125 max.

Breaker off was a very good move.
Breaker off is good. Your thermostat either crapped out, got eaten by acidity, or got scaled. A year and a half is pretty quick for scaling to coat or acidity to etch the copper away so likely just got a bad thermostat.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Breaker off is good. Your thermostat either crapped out, got eaten by acidity, or got scaled. A year and a half is pretty quick for scaling to coat or acidity to etch the copper away so likely just got a bad thermostat.
Thermostat doesn't contact the actual water. It's strapped to the outside surface of the tank. Plus if it's a "HOT WATER HEATER," then why are you heating the water if it's already hot?

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
I had the same issue with my HTC brand around the two year old mark. One of the elements went bad and shorted to be always on which made the thermostat unable to control it. Replaced both elements under warranty and all was well.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
UPDATE: Plumber just left. Like everything else these days controls are digital. The error code is showing bad thermostat. They called the company, and a new thermostat is being shipped out today via UPS air. I should have it tomorrow or Friday at the latest. The part is covered under warranty. Labor charge is still TBD. Keeping my fingers crossed. Tech support said the water heater is ok to use as long as we are mindful. I will probably just turn it on and off as needed.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Thermostat doesn't contact the actual water. It's strapped to the outside surface of the tank. Plus if it's a "HOT WATER HEATER," then why are you heating the water if it's already hot?
I saw the thread title, I knew I could count on you for this post!!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, the new thermostat was supposed to be shipped UPS overnight from Eastern TN on Wednesday morning. It did not come Thursday or Friday so I called the tech folks. After checking the system they said the part was not shipped and in fact it is on back order. No estimates on when it will be in stock. Why could they no say that when the plumber was here and ordered the part. So they have authorized a new replacement unit. Of course labor will only be covered up to $150. Thankfully the place that sold me the tank has one and is working with me. Now I wait on the plumber. In my neck of the woods they only work 8:00 - 4:00 and only M-F this time of year and I left them a message at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon. It happens....after all it is Friday the 13th.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, the new thermostat was supposed to be shipped UPS overnight from Eastern TN on Wednesday morning. It did not come Thursday or Friday so I called the tech folks. After checking the system they said the part was not shipped and in fact it is on back order. No estimates on when it will be in stock. Why could they no say that when the plumber was here and ordered the part. So they have authorized a new replacement unit. Of course labor will only be covered up to $150. Thankfully the place that sold me the tank has one and is working with me. Now I wait on the plumber. In my neck of the woods they only work 8:00 - 4:00 and only M-F this time of year and I left them a message at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon. It happens....after all it is Friday the 13th.
..... and yours was the 13th post in the thread. Don't try to buy any lottery tickets today BUT there's still time to buy raffle tickets.....;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS