The "safest" tools and hurrying.....

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My 1st school shop injury was in 9th grade shop. I was carving an model airplane when I noticed somebody had put red paint on my model. I had left a chisel setting on the bench with the blade protruding over the bench edge. It was so sharp that I didn't even know I had cut myself. Them handtools will bit you.

Pop

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Forester bit. Hand drill. Held the wood with my hand. Eight stitches.
Side note, the ER Dr told me that hydrogen peroxide will remove blood from clothes.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I had a 3" hole cutter spin off the back of a ceiling tile I was cutting and it danced across my fingernails and hand and then thumb. Took off the finger nail to the bed and left a few circular cuts down the rest of my hand. Doesnt feel good in the least.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yup, When I run the Safety Meeting for my main project (have 63 guys onsite) always point out plan what you are going to do, think! before you start, focusing and payng attention until the tool is out of your hand. Most common injuries I get and just like everyone else are cordless drill tings, screwdrivers, chisels and utility knives.

The big power tools we always are careful for those .......... my skin cuts easily so the other thing I have found is the ol' adage you get thin skinned when you get older .......... so true ...

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Appreciate the reminders. We need to run a thread like this every 6 months or so.

I'll add a couple points I try to keep in mind.
Fatigue and dehydration.

Both of them lead me to make poor decisions, especially in the shop.
If I make the choice to continue and "wrap something up" or "just this next step", one or both of those conditions is probably involved.
9 out of 10 times something goes wrong, it's that scenario.

medic

New User
john
Years ago when I was doing ems got a call to a construction site . Found the patient standing next to a wall with his arm holding up a piece of 2x4 the young man was in a hurry and nailed his hand to the board with a power nailed .after cutting the stud free from the wall,a $450 dollar ambulance ride plus a ER visit it was a costly lesson all because he was in a hurry to finish up

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Just one more little thing. Yea, been there done that, too many times that I care to count. Just like smallboat said. I almost always mess something up when I try this routine.

Pop :oops:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS