The Return of Shamrock-now as a North Bennet Street Student!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well hello again NCWW members, it's been a long time since I last posted and I've sorely missed the community here. I've kept in touch with a few of you along the way but let's get everybody caught up, shall we?

Quick history..... a prolific NCWW poster for 6 or 7 years disappears, what happened?
Well, life tends to throw us a few curve balls as we grow older. About a year ago I was faced with one of life's BIG decisions: continue on the path I'd been living for the last 17 years, or take the leap and pursue my dreams. I was helped along in my decision by the loss of a job, always an eye opener. The company I worked for shut down operations in my area and left me with a decision. Continue with pharmacy (my career up to that point) or take the leap to woodworking full time. After 17 years I was tired of retail but not quite yet ready to take the leap, but I was close, so me and the wife set the wheels in motion.
I took another pharmacy job and started planning......

1st up.... sell the house! This involved all the normal difficulties plus the added task of what to do with my shop? So, in true NCWW spirit I contacted some friends and found some storage options for most of my equipment, a loan it, store it, use it while I'm gone and treat it like your own arrangement was reached and some VERY VERY kind NCWW's now have the use of some pretty nice machines.

Then I converted my workshop into a living room! What you ask? that's crazy, and it was but that's another post........anyway the house sold last Oct.

Now it was time to apply to North Bennet St. and start saving. Applied in Oct. 2014 and found out 3 days before Christmas I was accepted. Now that was one of the best Christmas presents yet.

We downsized to a 1 bedroom apt. in Charlotte to transition and cull our crap to get ready for Boston city living! 1800sq/ft + shop to 900 sq/ft and no shop, now that was fun (a garage sale and major lumber sale were involved)

Next step, employment for the wife. She started looking in Jan 2015 and in perfect last minute fashion was offered her dream job about a week before our lease in Charlotte ended.

A week later and one hair raising Uhaul adventure behind us, we had relocated to Boston. So now you're all caught up...... but wait you say that's only June of 2015, school doesn't start till Sept 2015, what happened over the next three months?

Well........check out my Blog :D http://shamrockwoodstudio.com/blog (spoiler alert-some pretty cool internships are detailed in the posts)

I'll provide some special NCWW content along the way, but this will get you up to my North Bennet St. School start day

Mike_NBSS.JPG

And...... The added benefit of the blog is that you too will get to follow the trials and tribulations of the 2 year North Bennet St. School of Cabinetry and Furniture Making program from one of your own. So join me on this wild ride.... I've already posted weeks 1 and 2.

A preview of week 3 ... A student "plane-off", Oh boy!

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
As one who has had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife as well as purchasing some of your super well kept equipment and seeing some of the great pieces you have made I wish both of you the absolute best. I somehow doubt that you can get any better or more skilled than you already are but am happy you are following the dream we discussed a year or so ago.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Michael,

Glad to have you back.

Congratulations on your acceptance into the school. I know it has been your dream for quite some time.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Michael,
Good to hear all is better than well. I guess you missed last winter in Boston so I can't razz you on that.Here's hoping this winter is less snowy than last.We have a facility in Nashua, NH and the guys were describing piles of snow this past May that were still quite large. Look forward to the updates of your exploits, I too cannot imagine you being better than you are now but if it's possible I'm sure you will do it. Take care and look forward to talking to you soon.
Greg

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
FANTASTIC, Michael. :eusa_clap I know from a conversation we had several years ago that this is something you really wanted to do. Glad you chose NBSS. From what I've read, it's a great program. All of us here will be rooting for you, and many of us will follow your blog. Sounds like you're already off to a great start. Marquetry w/ Silas Kopf: WOW!

BTW, how's the surfing in Mass.? :gar-Bi

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Glad to see you are back on the forums. Your work was already amazing. I cannot wait to see how you progress as you move to professional status with training from the best. Don't forget us little guys when you are famous. I at least want a personalized autograph.

Jeff

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Sounds like an exciting journey. Thanks for sharing on the blog. Definitely be following along.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Congratulations on pursuing your life-long dream -- your work has always been creative and masterfully crafted -- I can only image the joys you will have in attending one of the premier woodworking schools in the world -- looking forward to seeing your progress and my warmest wishes for continued success.

bwat

New User
Bill
Most exciting to hear about you adventures. I will definitely live the dream through your blog. You will excel I'm sure! Bill

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Michael,
I too enjoyed meeting you last year.
I look forward to following you here (when you post) as well as in your blog...

Congratulations to you being able to follow your dream and to your family for supporting you!

JohnW

New User
John
Michael,
Enjoy the ride. I took an about-face with my work life at the age of 30. Second best decision I ever made. I know it's not possible without the support and encouragement of a great wife. So congrats on your best decision of asking her to marry you.

I hope life and snow brings you guys back to Charlotte. Best to you.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Congratulations! You (and your wife) deserve real credit for pursing your dreams with such bravery.

kanggo

New User
kanggo
Glad to see you are back on the forums. Your work was already amazing. I cannot wait to see how you progress as you move to professional status with training from the best. Don't forget us little guys when you are famous.
g.png

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Michael, thanks for the update! Congratulations on pursuing your dream. I still recall our discussion along similar lines a few years back. Best of success to you. Scott

Scott

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mike,

Glad to hear that you are doing well. Your friends down here in NC are expecting big things from you, and I am certain that you will not disappoint.

Cheers,

Matt

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Congratulations and good luck! I travel to Boston several times per month but have never made it out to look at the school...maybe now I will have to drop by.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Thanks all, so far every day has been fun, I had a marathon sharpening session on Thursday night and it's the 1st time in my life that I got everything I sharpened scary sharp! It's just really cool to wake up everyday and enjoy what I'm doing, I don't think I've slept this good in years.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS