Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Before:

After:

Copper Thickness scale on fence:

Brass angle indicator:

I still need to tune it up and run power but the SS Crescent is ready for duty! :cool: Thanks for looking.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Great job Steve. So, how does it work? Looks like you could flatten one of Kyles slabs on that beast.:icon_thum

MIke

Monty

New User
Monty
Incredible. Absolutely beautiful. You did a fantastic job, and I know you'll have a great tool once you start cutting wood with it. NOW GET IT DIRTY!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is awesome. You really returned that machine to it's prime. I await the reports on how well it does it's job, no doubt better than anything made today. Dang that's a big jointer 8-O

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great Job Steve.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap The rehab you did on that jointer is totally awesome.

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That really shows off just how big that deck is! That thing is HUGE! Great job on the restore!

4yanks

New User
Willie
I think that machine is beautiful. I know you have put a lot of hard work into it. You deserve to be proud.

Derek

New User
Derek
Dave,
Beautiful restoration job. Looks like you could serve dinner for eight on that table top. Can't wait to see how smooth it joints after you do a tune up.
Derek

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful machine Steve. You should be very proud of the hard work you put into it. You know, you can always use it as a bowling alley if it doesn't work right:lol: .
Congratulations!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fabulous work Steve!!! And, thanks so very much for the progress pictures. (You will have to hang on to all of the photo's as proof that the restoration was all your doin'.)

You must now be just itchin' to get some "timber" through it!!!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Awesome job. You now know every operating part of this thing and will have a ball with it for years.

I agree, get it dirty!!!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks for all of the thoughts and comments. I won't say that it has been easy but it has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I owe a lot of thanks to the knowledge available through the folks at OWWM and input from our own OzzieX and Woodguy. I litterally could not have done it without McRabbett's help. McRabbett has been there for me at every turn when I needed help. Everything from heavy lifting to pouring the Babbitts.

Below is a quick outline of the project as a reference for anyone thinking of restoring an old machine. Now that it is done and knowing what I now know, I would definitely do it again. There were some suprises along the way but I could not buy a machine of this quality for anything close to my investment.

Jointer purchase price $400 (seller gave me over 100 bd ft of Oak too)
Motor, pulleys, belts $300
Magnetic Switch $60
Babbitt Metal $70
Knives $60
Paint / Primer $20

In total, I probably have about 80-100 hours in labor. I went well beyond what was necessary to put the jointer into service. I wanted to bring it as close to fully restored as possible. I stripped it down completely including every nut, bolt and screw. Everything was brought down to bare metal by either electrolysis, wire wheel or sand blasting. Everything was primed and painted except for the machined surfaces. I also poured new Babbitt bearings and polished the shaft on the cutterhead on my lathe.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
So in total you have less than $1K invested in a 12" jointer. The time I have learned accounts for a lot, but it still seems like an excellent deal with your total time investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS