The Oak and Spalted Maple Pie Safe is Finally Done!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I finally put the finishing touches on the pie safe this weekend. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out. The color on the oak is all a custom mixture I came up with, thanks to Bill Clemmons and several others for the advice given on the dye it turned out fantastic. So here are a few pictures of it.

The Miters on the inside are not as good as I would like but hey they are doing their job.

2012-08-03_21_14_59.jpg

View image in gallery

A close up of the tin with a back light.. Glad that is over....

And finally the finished product. My wife has already started adding her own personal touches.

I'm super stoked about it and look forward to the next project....

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
It's always great to see a finished product! Your wife is showing you how proud she is of your craftsmanship by putting her special touch on it! I bet a pie never makes it into that cabinet, though! LOL

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
It's always great to see a finished product! Your wife is showing you how proud she is of your craftsmanship by putting her special touch on it! I bet a pie never makes it into that cabinet, though! LOL

Ha yeah, Its going to store cook books and my sons art/craft projects. :) I can't think of a better use for it. LOML is trying to figure out all kinds of things to do as far as decorating around it. I think she's about as excited to see it done as I am.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice job Kevin. :eusa_danc It's always great to get a project behind you and move on to the next one. The tin panels came out beautiful, but I can imagine how much work they were.

Bill

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
incredible! Hinges, handles, color, wood grain, and of course the tin panels come together in perfect harmony!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone... I am more and more pleased with it each day.... The color really turned out great. I was so worried that I was going to cover up the grain but with the dye mixture it allowed me to have the nice color and still see the awesome flake and grain of the wood.

I just realized I didn't take a picture of the side of it finished so you can see the great Spalted maple. I'll try and remember to do that tonight when I get back to the house.

The Tin was a lot of fun to make. It's not overly difficult but takes a lot of time. I've got anywhere from 2 - 4 hours in each panel. The first few were obviously slower than the others. There are a bunch of holes in the larger panels. I decided to count one day and I think I stopped counting after 150 and I wasn't even close to being done.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nicely done and what a great piece for the family to share. Your second round of pics really highlight the intricate details both inside and out. :thumbs_up I sense your pride-kudos to you.

Is the inside finished with dewaxed shellac?

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Very nicely done and what a great piece for the family to share. Your second round of pics really highlight the intricate details both inside and out. :thumbs_up I sense your pride-kudos to you.

Is the inside finished with dewaxed shellac?

The entire thing was finished with Zinsser Shellac. I don't think it was dewaxed, but I don't remember exactly. This was the first time I have used shellac and I'm still making my mind up about it.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Beautiful Kevin. The color contrast with the spalted maple is really nice. I think these long term projects give you the most satisfaction. If you are rushing to the finish, it's not a hobby , it's a chore.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Beautiful Kevin. The color contrast with the spalted maple is really nice. I think these long term projects give you the most satisfaction. If you are rushing to the finish, it's not a hobby , it's a chore.

Yeah I'm really pleased.. I actually have two more shelves to add to it but the wife wasn't sure exactly where she wanted them so I'm waiting until she figures that out.

Looking forward to the next project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS