The never ending kitchen remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Starting to make some progress on getting my kitchen remodel done. The contractor got the new steel I-beam installed. The sheetrock and mudding was completed on Thursday. So on Friday through Sunday, I began working on installing the cabinet boxes.

I wonder who did the framing of this house. It does not appear that they knew that you were supposed to put the crown up on floor joists as my floor is a bit wavy...... I used 4 boxes of shims to get everything laid out.

For the weekend, I got all of the cabinet boxes installed and leveled, all of the upper doors installed, and today I finished all of the electrical wiring and was able to turn the power on to everything with the exception of the cooktop which I cannot install until the countertops go in next Monday.

We don't have a pantry, so the first cabinet my wife wanted was a big pantry cabinet. This monster is 33 inches deep, 32 inches wide, and stands 8ft tall. Right beside it is the cabinet for the double oven. Then we have some standard cabinets with the microwave and cooktop going in on the same side.

The back wall is a small cabinet, the refrigerator enclosure/cabinet, and a 130 inch long peninsula. In the middle is an island that will house the sink, dishwasher, and a small cabinet behind it for storage.

I did get all the upper cabinet doors installed and the double oven wired in and installed.

My current nightmare is getting the plumbing tied in. The one thing about the plumbing that irritates me is that I have to install a test tee. A 4 ft run of drain pipe, but I have to install a test tee, and had to buy a bladder to fit it for $20..... The lines run through my basement workshop and are fully visible.... If they leak, I am going to know it, but whatever.... I have a $20 inflatable test bladder..... geez.... I am fortunate that the waste pipe is less than 4 ft away, but I am not looking forward to cutting in and tying into a 4" PVC sewer pipe. I have done it before, just always something makes it a challenge. I was going to do it tomorrow night, and then decided I better wait until Saturday morning as I really don't want to get stuck needing some miscellaneous part and be unable to go get it due to the stores being closed.

Instead, I think I will go ahead and finish installing end panels, get some trim to hide the 1/2"gaps in the floor made, and finish off the doors.

I hope I can get moved back into this kitchen by the 26th.....

IMG_20180208_171144.JPG

IMG_20180210_105242.JPG

img]http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/3104/medium/IMG_20180211_203953.JPG[/img]

IMG_20180211_204008.JPG

IMG_20180210_175222.JPG

IMG_20180210_211844.JPG

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Lookin great. Sounds like lots of hassles but it’s sizing up to be fantastic in the end.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great progress Travis, looks really good! For the finish, are you going to paint them white?

(*ducks*) :D

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Great progress Travis, looks really good! For the finish, are you going to paint them white?

(*ducks*) :D

I should come over and beat you with a stick. :) I have heard my 15 year old hark on me since I started making these that she wants white cabinets............ All white cabinets, inset doors with beaded frames.... Would have been nice to know prior to my getting all the cherry lumber and cherry ply....

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I should come over and beat you with a stick. :) I have heard my 15 year old hark on me since I started making these that she wants white cabinets............ All white cabinets, inset doors with beaded frames.... Would have been nice to know prior to my getting all the cherry lumber and cherry ply....

Maybe I should show her mine I just finished
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8966.jpg
    IMG_8966.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 168

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Are you having fun yet?:rotflm: It's a never ending saga. I've been replacing rotted floor in daughter's house since December. Bottom of joists are only 4" off ground, so this means EVERYTHING has to be done from the top side. As an added bonus, nothing is plumb, or level.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Maybe I should show her mine I just finished
attachment.php

Your stuff looks great! Did you design and build? How did you come up with the design/layout over the cooktop?

I think I did pretty well on building what I did, but I feel like I fell short on some of the details like you have. The elaborate trim over the cook top, your dressed up corner, etc.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Are you having fun yet?:rotflm: It's a never ending saga. I've been replacing rotted floor in daughter's house since December. Bottom of joists are only 4" off ground, so this means EVERYTHING has to be done from the top side. As an added bonus, nothing is plumb, or level.

I know the nothing is plumb gambit.... I have a 7/8 inch sag in my floor.... makes no sense as it is adjacent to a steel girder....

Am I having fun? Some.... it would have been more fun if the electrical wasn’t so bad. I did electrical wiring for a week and had to rework my breaker panel. The plumbing tie in is looking like it will be non eventful. I have a total of 4 ft of pipe to run....

My challenge now is scribing end panels.... I used to be able to do it, but I am now horrible at it...

Overall, it has been a lot of work, but it is now coming together. All of my electrical works and all the placement of receptacles, lights and switches looks right on. The cabinets fit well, and I am close to getting all the drawers sprayed.

I am tired, but I am enjoying it.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Your stuff looks great! Did you design and build? How did you come up with the design/layout over the cooktop?

I think I did pretty well on building what I did, but I feel like I fell short on some of the details like you have. The elaborate trim over the cook top, your dressed up corner, etc.
Thanks, yes, I did design and built it all. I did alot of online searching for ideas.. then went to my vast collection of moulding knives and ran profiles.... picked what seemed to work. Did some 3D modeling in Pro/Engineer. The hood design was built in place and I kind of dressed it up as I went. I was pleased with how it turned out and get lots of compliments on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors