The Moak 16" has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I had a friend with a roll back help me go get the new/old jointer. Boy was that the way to haul a jointer.

Jointerafterarrival.jpg

It has a pretty good amount of surface rust, but there is really minimal pitting. The cutter head is the 4 knife version. The head and blades are pretty rough. I'll have to remove the head and electrolysis it.

cutterheadafterarrival.jpg

The bearings are enclosed ball bearings as I hoped. You can see the oil cups on each end. The bearings appear to be in perfect shape. The cutterhead turns extremely free. I am totally shocked with how free it is. It appears I won't need to replace any bearings. :)
backbearingblock.jpg

I put in a little time to removing some rust to see what I'll have. It going to clean up nicely!!!

alittlerustremoval.jpg

It will take me a few weeks to get all the old paint off it and get everything cleaned up, but it looks to be a very good buy. :)

Thanks,

John

M

McRabbet

Since your pics didn't show the motor, is this the "Brandon Johnson-powered Model" or where is it hidden? Since you had said earlier that it was three phase, have you tested it yet? Just curious -- looks like a might solid piece of machinery!

BTW, I may drive down sometime this week to buy some of the low-cost chinese Birch Plywood at Catawba for a mitersaw cabinet...

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
McRabbet said:
Since your pics didn't show the motor, is this the "Brandon Johnson-powered Model" or where is it hidden? Since you had said earlier that it was three phase, have you tested it yet? Just curious -- looks like a might solid piece of machinery!

BTW, I may drive down sometime this week to buy some of the low-cost chinese Birch Plywood at Catawba for a mitersaw cabinet...

Rob

You can see the motor in the 3rd picture. I haven't checked it yet. The guy used it in his job before they went out of business and he bought it from them. It was in working condition when he put in away. Those old motors are great. I have 100% confidence that the motor will run. If not I'll belt drive it with a modern day motor. It is 5HP 3 Phase.

Stop by if you get over this way. The birch plywood is really good stuff for the price.

Thanks,

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You really do suck. I should have bid on it, but oh well....

Nice haul. Looking forward to progress pics.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Travis Porter said:
You really do suck. I should have bid on it, but oh well....

Nice haul. Looking forward to progress pics.

Don't worry, I still would have won it. When I get set to get something I do what it takes. ;) I appreciate the one less competition for it. It was a battle at the end to get it. :)

Good Luck on the Bandsaw.

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Awesome! That looks really great. You have some restoration work ahead of you, but it will be worth every bit and more!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice score John. It does look to be in pretty good shape and should clean up to become one sweet running machine.

D L

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
We had a 12" Moak jointer in the sample shop I use to work in. It was a great machine! You will be very pleased with that machine. It is built like a tank.

woodguy1975

New User
John
chris99z71 said:
OK, now it's in the garage...did you get an all-terrain pallet jack to move it around to the back? :rolf:

Nope, I'll use the pallet jack and my trailer to get the thing into the shop or I'll get my buddy to come back with the roll back to take it around for me. It is nice to have friends with equipment. :)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Monty said:
You can say THAT again!!! :icon_thum

Geez, Monty upgrades to an 8" jointer and will still be coming over to use mine. :) :rolf: LOL, I'm looking forward to getting the beast cleaned up and running. I think my wife might be working on removing some rust for me today for me. I think she wants to park her car in the garage again. :) :rolf:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'm sure that you've already thought of this, but if you're going to disassemble it for cleaning/lubricating/restoration, I'm sure Brandon would appreciate moving the pieces vs. the final reassembled beast.:lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
chris99z71 said:
I'm sure that you've already thought of this, but if you're going to disassemble it for cleaning/lubricating/restoration, I'm sure Brandon would appreciate moving the pieces vs. the final reassembled beast.:lol:

LOL, nope it will be totally assembled and alinged before I move it from the garage. I want it ready to plug in and fire up.

:-D

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The Moak looks great John, it should clean up very nicely. You might want to wait until it is set in place for that final tweak. As heavy and stable as these beasts are it is still possible to whack something enough in the movement to change things a few thousandths.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Steve D said:
The Moak looks great John, it should clean up very nicely. You might want to wait until it is set in place for that final tweak. As heavy and stable as these beasts are it is still possible to whack something enough in the movement to change things a few thousandths.

I agree, but I want it close. :)

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
So John, how long you gonna wait before you put a Byrd head in the old Moak..........Now that would really be something.

woodguy1975

New User
John
frigator said:
So John, how long you gonna wait before you put a Byrd head in the old Moak..........Now that would really be something.

Hehehehehehe, it won't be long. I'm going to call Moak's part department and see if I can get an original drawing of the head for byrd.

woodguy1975

New User
John
A few hours of cleaning!!!

jointer1daycleaning.jpg

Boy do I have it made. I arrive home to see my wife going at the paint like there is no tomorrow with a pair of angle grinders. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I planed on working on my rocker, but couldn't say no to the jointer sitting there. April stripped off about 70% of the paint already and worked all the primary rust off the tops. I continued to work on the infeed table as she ground the casting. We got to the point where we couldn't reach any more spaces so off went the outfeed table. If I can find a large enough tub I'm going to electrolysis the tops since they are easy to remove. Easy, but very heavy. The shorter outfeed table could be handled by my wife and I, but the infeed will require a little more muscle help.

Pretty good progress considering the jointer arrived yesterday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS