The Long Ranger III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
No not the Lone Ranger... Tonto's friend. This.

I was working on a project today and using the remote control for The Long Ranger III to turn the DC on/off. I noticed that the control quit shutting it off. I pressed the OFF switch on the DC to shut it down. I check the battery in the remote and it was down below 7 volts (a 9 volt battery) so I changed it for the first time in about 5 years I think and tried to start up the DC. No luck. So I reprogrammed the remote and The Long Ranger control box. It still would not turn the DC on. I called PSI and talked to Joe. He said the warranty was out but would check around and see what he could find out and call me. I went back to the shop and did some more work. After a couple hours I decided to take the control box apart but decided to try it one more time. This time I noticed when I pressed the ON button on the remote the control box clicked and when I pressed OFF it clicked again. So I pressed the ON button on the DC and then pressed the remote ON button and the DC started up and the remote OFF button would turn it off.

The moral of this story is when using The Long Ranger III the ON button on the DC must be pressed to control it with the remote. I have been using the DC with the remote of The Long Ranger III for 5 years and I just forgot. :BangHead::BangHead: Dumb Dumb. At least I didn't order a new one.

Joe form PSI did call me back later and said he had two refurbished units without the remote I could buy for $29 each.

Oh and it sure is nice that the DC is in another part of the building and not in the shop now.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
We should all be so fortunate as to have such problems. I'm still working on getting my DC system up & running. It's a must have IMO & I'm trying to get my dad to do some filtration in his shop as well.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Dolan ... you are not alone! I have the LR remote too and have learned that lesson once or twice!

As for more remotes ... if anyone needs any, check with Rick at The Woodworking Source. He has the ones from Shop Fox for a GREAT price. I used that brand a lot at Woodguy's place and found I liked it better than LR for no reason other than the remote is smaller and has larger buttons ... not to mention Rick sells it for about half what a LR costs!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Sounds like me, Dolan.
I've only had the LR for a couple of weeks, and thought I had a bad one. Our shop is about 70' from the house and the DC is located at the far corner of the shop, so it's about 100' from the back of the house.
I had been finding the DC running after turning it off and going into the house for stuff like lunch, nap, etc. I normally wear bib overalls around the home place and carry the remote in one of the little side pockets on the right leg.
Getting frustrated with the dang LR turning the DC on I was just about to call PSI and ask for a replacement.
Welll, I was getting a much deserved 30 minute nap after lunch the other day, and SWMBO was in the shop for some reason. Suddenly she comes running into the house all in a frazzle. The DC had started up with her next to it and scared the begeezus out of her.
I crawl out of the recliner and go out to see what's going on. When out the back door I had to stop and retie a boot lace. I could hear the DC running. When I squatted down to tie the boot, the dang DC stopped!
Turns out the dang remote has a much better range (it is a Looonnng Ranger) than advertised and I have been turning the DC on and off while sitting and napping!:rotflm:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Ken, That is funny. I have turned mine while in the yard a few times but not while taking a nap. You are right they do have a long range.

Sounds like me, Dolan.
I've only had the LR for a couple of weeks, and thought I had a bad one. Our shop is about 70' from the house and the DC is located at the far corner of the shop, so it's about 100' from the back of the house.
I had been finding the DC running after turning it off and going into the house for stuff like lunch, nap, etc. I normally wear bib overalls around the home place and carry the remote in one of the little side pockets on the right leg.
Getting frustrated with the dang LR turning the DC on I was just about to call PSI and ask for a replacement.
Welll, I was getting a much deserved 30 minute nap after lunch the other day, and SWMBO was in the shop for some reason. Suddenly she comes running into the house all in a frazzle. The DC had started up with her next to it and scared the begeezus out of her.
I crawl out of the recliner and go out to see what's going on. When out the back door I had to stop and retie a boot lace. I could hear the DC running. When I squatted down to tie the boot, the dang DC stopped!
Turns out the dang remote has a much better range (it is a Looonnng Ranger) than advertised and I have been turning the DC on and off while sitting and napping!:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors