the latest craze: turning something with pencils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I belong to several forums, including 3 on facebook. Several guys are trying stuff, using colored pencils. I decided not to jump in the deep end of the pool, but decided it to give it a shot on a smaller scale. The colored pencils are all 'Teacher correcting pencils' and are 6-sided with red lead. I cut off both ends of the pencils, then put a rubber band tightly around both ends, and added CA glue and let it penetrate. (yes, I had to cut the rubber bands off the ends, as they were also glued !!). I drilled a hole through a 2X2X8" blank of cherry, and inserted it. I had to do just a little filing on the hole, as I had no forsner bit that fit perfectly. It left a gap, so I filled both sides with fine walnut dust, and used CA to secure it. I promised my sister I would make her a scoop, and as her name is Ruby, I thought all red pencils in cherry wood made some sense. I also added a close up so you can see how they sit in there. Yes, there is an exact 'flower' on the other side of the scoop. C & C welcome!

Dave Peterson

pencilscoop1.jpg pencilscoop2.jpg

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I have cogitated about doing a similar project. Does the CA penetrate the lead enough to keep it from crumbling? Which thickness of CA did you use? TIA

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I have cogitated about doing a similar project. Does the CA penetrate the lead enough to keep it from crumbling? Which thickness of CA did you use? TIA

The CA was used to hold them together in a group, and it did not penetrate the pencils. There is also CA around it where you see the dark border, as that is walnut sawdust and CA used as filler. I just turned it at about 1000 rpm with sharp tools. The only thing keeping the lead in place is about 8 coats of rattle can clear coat lacquer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS