The Joke's on me.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I thought you all would appreciate this.
As I was sanding the parts to a chest of drawers I’m working on, my favorite little random orbit sander starts slowing down. Uh-oh. Probably bearings or maybe brushes. I continued working and the sander got really slow.

I had to stop to see if the sander was repairable. I took it apart and examined the internals. They all checked out good as far as I could see. I then noticed a little red disk. Hmmmm. That’s a speed control! I’d never noticed that before. I put it back together, plugged it in, rotated the speed control to maximum. It worked perfectly again. Apparently as I was sanding, my thumb would rub the speed control, slowing it bit by bit. That was embarrassing.

What really scared me before I found the solution to the problem was that I thought I’d be faced with buying a new small random orbit sander and internet “reviews” were a joke and a waste of time. My little sander had been long discontinued.

1     390 sander - 1.jpg
My favorite little sander.
I love the low profile.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
As I was sanding the parts to a chest of drawers I’m working on, my favorite little random orbit sander starts slowing down. Uh-oh. Probably bearings or maybe brushes. I continued working and the sander got really slow.

I had to stop to see if the sander was repairable. I took it apart and examined the internals. They all checked out good as far as I could see. I then noticed a little red disk. Hmmmm. That’s a speed control! I’d never noticed that before. I put it back together, plugged it in, rotated the speed control to maximum. It worked perfectly again. Apparently as I was sanding, my thumb would rub the speed control, slowing it bit by bit. That was embarrassing.

What really scared me before I found the solution to the problem was that I thought I’d be faced with buying a new small random orbit sander and internet “reviews” were a joke and a waste of time. My little sander had been long discontinued.

View attachment 210698
I love the low profile.
Reminds me of the time my S15 broke down when it threw a serpentine belt. I walked to a parts store and got the belt I needed but upon returning couldn't quite figure out how it went on. A guy I knew saw me stopped and asked me what the problem was. I told him and he suggested I simply follow the configuration pasted to the radiator frame. Doh!!!!!!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

View attachment 210698
I love the low profile.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I had one of those and loved it. Never have found another one

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Coincidently I was sanding yesterday with my Festool random orbit and it was making a weird noise and was vibrating roughly. I also assumed the bearings were going but then when I picked it up while running the bottom half of the pad flew about 30 feet across the shop. I had replaced the worn out pad with an aftermarket a few months ago. They came in a pack of two so swapped it out and now it runs fine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS