The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm about half way between Pittsboro and Carrboro and part of HOW. Let me know when.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I'm in Graham now. Joined HOW when I was in Chatham county. Hillsborough is an easy jaunt.

I like the idea of helping each other out when needed.

cpaul

New User
Chris
Gold Park in Hillsborough accepts reservations in 3 hr time slots for a small fee ($20 or $30 depending on whether the person who signs up lives inside or outside town limits). The venue has cook pits, electricity and a covered shelter. There are also restrooms on site. I would be happy to help organize a meet and greet there. Hillsborough BBQ is right there and we could arrange for catering. Weekend after Mother's Day perhaps?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I just got back from Red Oak Biergarten in Whitsett just outside Burlington. They have a nice outdoor area with plenty of tables, and access to their line of authentic, German-style beers, as well as brats and pretzels. They host a food truck several nights a week. They're open Wednesday thru Friday, 4:00-10:00pm; Saturday, 12:00-10:00pm; and Sunday, 12:00-7:00pm.

1620261335819.png

1620261366113.png

That location would be easy for our Greensboro friends to join in.

I think by now the vast majority of us have been vaccinated and there is added safety because this is outdoors.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Dylan,
I assume you are gluing the 4.5" side. That will fit my 6" jointer and you are welcome to use it. I am in extreme northeast Chat Co (Durham address).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Mad at the wooden nickel. They bought the sandwich shop across the street that had fantastic strange sandwiches and all kinds of sodas, but never included them in their menu. Besides, it is still always too crowed. Biggest sin is something was amiss in their bar glass cleaning. Every beer sample had a hint of bourbon.

At least Volume is still there. He had a deck built so he can have a couple sit out back. It is an alley, but what the heck. Maybe he will open soon. Hit the Dog House and over to Volume for some music and a beer.

We need a pub. We also need a decent steakhouse. Tried The House At Gatewood once, but then COVID hit. A good possibility.

Never heard of Yunder. Do they have a decent porter or even a Brown on tap? Might poke in this afternoon. I'll comment on your work.

As we all are good little puppies and get our shots, maybe venturing out a bit more. Watching the NC dashboard, Orange County doing better, but not good enough. Being totally self taught, I am sure everyone on the forum can teach me a thing or two. Actually a wise man knows everyone in the world knows something he does not and is willing to listen.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I just got back from Red Oak Biergarten in Whitsett just outside Burlington. They have a nice outdoor area with plenty of tables, and access to their line of authentic, German-style beers, as well as brats and pretzels. They host a food truck several nights a week. They're open Wednesday thru Friday, 4:00-10:00pm; Saturday, 12:00-10:00pm; and Sunday, 12:00-7:00pm.

View attachment 201648

View attachment 201649

That location would be easy for our Greensboro friends to join in.

I think by now the vast majority of us have been vaccinated and there is added safety because this is outdoors.
Ah, they have that open now. Too bad their beer is bland and so-so. Always up for a brat.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Ah, they have that open now. Too bad their beer is bland and so-so. Always up for a brat.

I had their Helles Bock last night and found it quite tasty. My wife had the Battlefield Bavarian Bock. I had a taste and felt it could've used more body.

Bill J

Bill
User
I've never tried Red Oak but I would be up for a taste test. After the second jab I am feeling more social!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
FYI,

CDC lifts indoor mask guidance for vaccinated people: ‘You can shed your mask’

Excerpt:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Thursday that people fully vaccinated no longer have to wear masks in many indoor situations. The new guidance reflects evidence that vaccines are highly effective in preventing serious and critical cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

“Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities large or small without wearing a mask or physical distancing,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said. She looked relieved as she made the announcement, in a break from the mostly somber comportment of public health officials since the pandemic began.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend. Who's up for a beer?
I think I am. Saturday should be nice. So outside etc. Rates still to high for inside for me. Everyone's honor they are two weeks past second dose.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I like the idea of outside somewhere. I'm a fan of Hi-Wire or Ponysaurus in Durham. They both have outside seating. How about 3pm Saturday. I'm open to suggestions. Thoughts?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS