The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
Hi folks,

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where folks who are close can connect. I'm hoping if we get to know one another, we can occasionally help each other out. Need a few more pipe clamps for your massive glue-up this weekend? Need a pair of hands to unload your new table saw or do that big glue-up? Got a particularly nice or unique shop tool that someone might come over for a few cuts once in a while? Need to use a lathe for a couple small pieces for your big project? This thread would be a place to ask and offer.

(Full disclosure: My immediate motive here is that I have three 62" x 14" x 4.25" yellow pine beams I'd like to run across someone's jointer so I can edge-glue them). But I also just want to put it out there that I'm happy to share some of my shop resources from time-to-time.

I'm located in Efland, near the corner of Orange Grove and Borland Rd., about half-way between Hillsborough and Carrboro. If you're within a 45 minute drive, post up here and let us know. Even if you're not likely to share your tools/time/space, it would still just be good to know who's in the neighborhood.

Dylan

(Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, or redundant to one that already exists. Please let me know if I overstepped).

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Hey, Dylan. I'm just off NC 751 about halfway between US 64 and I40. That last dimension on your beam is puzzling me. You have it listed at 4/25". Not a common size.

Roy G

Dylan Buffum

New User
Dylan
Hey, Dylan. I'm just off NC 751 about halfway between US 64 and I40. That last dimension on your beam is puzzling me. You have it listed at 4/25". Not a common size.

Roy G

Typo. 4.25". I'll correct it.

Hi Roy, nice to "meet" you. So you're down near Jordan Lake? Been there a long time?

Langd002

New User
Scott
Dylan,
I am located on Bradshaw Quarry Road, Efland not too far from Buckhorn Road.
I am setting up my new shop (30ft x 40ft, less than 1 year old).

Scott L

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just north off Miller road in Hillsborough. ( Oak Rise) . I back up to Fox Hill Farm. Bet Martin is not much more than walking distance.

Scott

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
So, Scott's and my question is: Do you like Porter?

Depends:

1614890498598.png

Yes

1614890541527.png

No

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I am located in Hillsborough, on gravel portion of Arthur Minnis.

I am part of a group: Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers - "HOW". We haven't meet since Covid started, but hope to meet again to build projects.
If you are interested, please let me know.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Best ever: Anchor Porter, but rather hard to get here. Just a hint of coffee, chocolate, and toast all by roasting. Nothing polluting it. Perfect with a bit of Gouda.

So I slum it with Highland Black Mocha Stout or Gaelic Ale. Always looking for something better. I had some of #2. Got rid of it.
Also looking for something like DuClaw Misfit Red. A red ale with a delightful toast you don't usually get in an amber. Perfect with a burger.

Quite interested in meet and greet, help improve each others methods and just pass the time. On a nice day maybe we can meet when we can sit distantly outside, raise a pint and hope for OC to get off it's backside so we can get our shots! Tell me about HOW. I am am almost always home, so I offer an invitation. Being careful of course.

My other hang out, which has been on hold, is NCMCC. We had a monthly coffee and a monthly "Noggin and Natter" You know, British car folk have to get together to cry in their beer.

Dylan, as I just ordered a Shelix head for my joiner, so if it is the 4 1/4 dimension, ( 6 ") you are welcome to run them across mine while it has the steel cutters in it. Get a bit more out of this round of sharpening.

cpaul

New User
Chris
Dylan, great thread, thanks for starting it. I'm just north of I70 outside Hillsborough proper at Miller and Baldwin, in Fox Hill Farm, and am down for a meet and greet.
Scott, Anchor Porter is a fine brew. You might try 'The Beginning is After the End' by Burial if you really like the coffee to stand out. When it's available you can find it at Weaver Street and I've also seen it at Steve's Butchery.
If anyone here frequents the Wooden Nickel on Church St, you can see some blacksmithing of mine (the lillies) as you walk under the entrance arch ...
1620148352465.png

Cheers!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS