the differences between honduras and genuine mahogany

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
what are the differences ,if any, in honduras and genuine mahogany... of is the name the only difference? sorry for such a dumb question... thanks for any and all response... jonny

Nativespec

New User
David
I was told they were one and the same. The African is the less desireable version that barely qualifies as the species.

David

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
"Genuine" mahogany comes from the Swietenia genus. This includes the so-called Honduras and Cuban mahogany. The name "mahogany" actually comes from one specific member of the genus, being swietenia mahogoni.

Other woods such as the so-called African Mahogany (Khaya spp.) and Philippine Mahogany (Luan spp. ?)aren't from the Swietenia genus and thus aren't "genuine" mahogany.

Practically speaking, the true mahoganys are some of the finest furniture lumber available and very sought after ($$) - as well as all being trade-restricted now.

-Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
"Genuine" mahogany comes from the Swietenia genus. This includes the so-called Honduras and Cuban mahogany. The name "mahogany" actually comes from one specific member of the genus, being swietenia mahogoni.

Other woods such as the so-called African Mahogany (Khaya spp.) and Philippine Mahogany (Luan spp. ?)aren't from the Swietenia genus and thus aren't "genuine" mahogany.

Practically speaking, the true mahoganys are some of the finest furniture lumber available and very sought after ($$) - as well as all being trade-restricted now.

-Mark

Mark nailed it right on the head, good job on the botanical references :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
What is this world coming to?
Mahogany is really a Luan
Poplar is really a Magnolia,
"Tung Oil" isn't really made from tongues,
Danish oil isn't made of or by Danes,
Shellac ain't got no shells in it,
And now I find that the Gas I pay over $3 a gallon for is really a liquid.

Whatever happened to "Truth in advertising"?

Oh yeah, that's right, the politicians made a law to make sure that happened.:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Go

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Let me add this to Mark's posting.

Up until the 1920's or so, Cuban Mahogany was the most used and prized for the finest furniture. It was the "mahogany" of almost all top quality furniture. It's popularity caused almost complete deforesting of Cuban mahogany trees in Cuba. Since then Honduras has been the primary source but that is getting over harvested too. Attempts are being made to plantation grow the wood.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Danish oil isn't made by Danes?! Geez. I know peanut oil is made from peanuts and for that reason had always avoided using baby oil...just didn't seem right to me.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Call me a skeptic but if it is not reclaimed wood I am very, well, skeptical of someone selling Honduras mahogany.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
When I was stationed over in England (88 - 91) I bought a workbench from my landlord for about 40 bucks, fast forward to 2005/6 I felt the need to swap out the wooden top from this table, I pulled up the old plywood and found a door underneath, it was oil soaked but reddish brown in color, I planned it and I'm pretty sure it's mahogany. Anyway I built this Mantle Clock for my wife, do you guys think this is Mahogony...
Appreciate your time
Gary

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Looks like mahogany, but hard to tell. Need a closer shot to see the grain lines and such.

Clicking on the pic will give you the best pic I have at the moment, Hard to take close-ups when I'm 2000 miles away from my house:confused_
Gary

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Did that, still not close enough. 2000 miles????? Geez.....

It does look like mahogany, but I normally look for itty bitty short black lines as the real kicker. To me, mahogany, cuts, sands, and finishes like a dream, but is very open grained like oak. If it meets those criteria, I would bet you have mahogany. As to whether it is phillipine, cuban, honduran, or african, that I have not a clue how to tell.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
I don't remember if there were black lines in it, but it did work well and did have open grain like Oak...
Smelled like automotive oil :cool:
Thanks for your help though...
Gary

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Found a pic of a mirror with the same wood used for the wedges, not sure if this is any better
Gary

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
this is the $40.00 workbench (the angle iron part w/drawers) it had plywood over 2X6 sized wood, at the time it wasn't worth checking out the 2X wood, so it was a number of years and a shed expansion that finally caused me to tear into the top....

by the way, I also scored this Wilton vise as part of the deal

LorinB

New User
Lorin
Need some of the real stuff? Look here: Wall Lumber Special

This is not meant to be a slam on Wall Lumber. I do not know them nor have I ever done buisness with them. I did go to their web site last week and noticed they listed what they claim to be genuine mahogany for what seemed way to cheap. I was suspicious that it was African, as I am in the custom door buisness and compete on a regular basis with other door companies that misrepresent the doors that they market as being genuine mahogany when they are clearly African (Kaya). So I called to inquire and was informed that it was in fact genuine mahogany from Africa (?). Now there is an oxymoron. Surely they no better.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I go to Steve Wall and asked where their mahogany was from. Like you said, their genuine mahogany is African, but what does genuine mean? I think it falls in the same category as a 2 by 4 that in reality is 1.5 by 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS