The customer is always right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I just finished this coffee table for a friend. He wanted reclaimed heart pine. Then decided he wanted this walnut stain on it instead of a clear finish that would show off the beautiful wood. Oh well, it's his nickel and as they say, the customer is always right.

Attachments

• 100_0385.jpg
    100_0385.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_0380.jpg
    100_0380.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 183

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
That is supreme work there, too bad they had you stain it though. Why not use the wood the stain is supposed to duplicate is beyond me. To me it takes away from the best of work to cover it up with stain, but the customer is always right.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Larry the table looks great and yes unfortunately the customer IS always right. :icon_thum

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Great looking table. At least you didn't have to paint it a solid color. I hate to cover woodgrain. We all feel your woes.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice job on the table. A true sign of good work is to do a really nice job of staining a piece that you didn't want to stain. Good work!

sawman

New User
Albert
Very nice work Larry, the pegged tennons and bread boards give the piece some age.
The question is, how did you cut the face for the pull out? You did a great job on that.
I like the taper on the legs, did you cut them on the table saw or band saw.
The customer is always correct even if they ruined some beautiful heart pine.

Later,
Albert :saw:

J

jeff...

Nice table construction, If someone wants to change the color, they will have a heck of a time doing it. I've stained a lot of pieces myself, it's beyond my limited brain power to know why someone would want to. But who am I, just a recipiant of greenbacks... yep customer is always right.

Later

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Albert, I sawed 1" out of the entire front. Then cut 12" out of that piece and glued the short pieces back. That way the grain is continous. As for the legs I roughed them out on the band saw and used a hand plane to finish the tapers.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
It looks great. The way it's built it should be enjoyed for generations. :icon_thum

Pretty work.

Chuck

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
No the customer is not always right. As a matter of fact, about 50% of the time they are wrong. I let them think they are right so that I get paid.
Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks great Larry, but you have got to start doing more progress pics!!!! Your stuff is awesome and would love to see stuff as it progresses on the bench and such.

I am one to talk. I need to get a cheap camera just for the shop.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Larry, I'm impressed! I don't know what reclaimed heart pine looks like, but one thing for sure, Pine from the Borg is not easy to stain and look good -- at least that's been my experience. The finish really looks good considering you HAD to stain it. What kind of stain did you use -- Oil, water based, etc?

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Don, to get the piece as dark as the customer wanted it I used 3 coats of Minwax Special Walnut oil based stain. The finish is 3 coats of Minwax SemiGloss Poly and buffed out with 0000 steelwood and waxed.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thanks Larry. I used the Minwax Special Walnut oil based stain on an antique Oak dresser that I restored. I wanted to match the original finish. It was a close match!

Thanks,

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS