The British are coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
First post and I guess I'm in the right place! Just moved down from NH, I was living there for 4 years, having come over from England in '99. I have been woodworking as a hobby for just about 20 years. I design and build custom furniture, mainly for our own use, but have done commissions in the past. I do all designs on Solid Works 3D CAD system so if anybody has an interest I can may help a bit. I have a new shop built when we moved down; 20 x 20 all I could afford at the time! nice to have a dedicated area - nothing but woody stuff! I looked at joining TWA, but the meetings were too far away. I live in the back of beyond at Bob Cat Point out side of Pittsboro.

Looking forward to reading the posts.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
David,

Welcome aboard, I'm a newbie here myself to this group and they have been quite helpful. I look forward to seeing pictures of some of your work. Please post when you have an opportunity.

Steve D

Monty

New User
Monty
Hey David. Welcome.

As far as I know the pics can be any size, up to 2 MB. The gallery will resize the pics to 800 pixels, but the original full-resolution image will still be there as well. Show us some pics! :mrgreen:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard again! I think most of us will be very interested in what you have to say. From everything I've heard, the English perspective on technique is very diifferent than the US

DavidF

New User
David
We shall see about that:eusa_thin, but I have discoved that as I progress the more I have seen the true value of hand tools. If ever I am going to mess up a job it's when trying to use a power tool to do a job that I could have done by hand! That follows on from learning how to correctly sharpen tools!

David

DavidF

New User
David
No sooner said then done! I have put a couple of things in to my album. First use though and I see I messed up adding the titles.

All of these are my own design; the table with the globe is maple and Cherry with black walnut accents. The Entertainment centre is maple and birch veneer ply with maple lipping and walnut inlay and finally the coffee table is soft maple with Black walnut risers and inlay. The top is 3 solid pieces held to the risers by full width sliding DT's - tricky! this table made a brief appearance in the August WoodCraft magazine under "showcase"

Current project is a DemiLune table in Paduak and ebonized hard maple - being a bear at the moment:BangHead:

Hope you like them.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I just checked out your Album too. You have a nice comtemporary flare. Good stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

John

DavidF

New User
David
I'll put a computer rendering of the latest table in the album so that you can see what I'm up against - those legs... Just to make it just a bit more difficult I have put a hole in the top that is shaped like Jordan lake and will be filled with clear resin - a mememto of NC.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Woodguy,

Contemporary is pretty much all I do. I think because I like the design stage I like to try and be original if I can.

David

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Welcome David! I also looked at your album and we can all learn from a man of your skills. Very impressive portfolio of work! Hope to see you posting projects in progress so we can have on-line tutorials.

woodguy1975

New User
John
DavidF said:
I'll put a computer rendering of the latest table in the album so that you can see what I'm up against - those legs... Just to make it just a bit more difficult I have put a hole in the top that is shaped like Jordan lake and will be filled with clear resin - a mememto of NC.

I like the rendering that Solid Works creates. I'm an inventor user and those renderings are much more cartoonish. CADing in 3D really can help work out design details. I love it.

John

DavidF

New User
David
I have the Photoworks add on and that really makes all the difference.
We use inventer here at work, but generrally I prefer SW

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site David, you have quite an impressive set of credentials, I look forward to hearing more and I can't wait to see those pictures

-clay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I am really at the end of the line here, But Welcome also from me. I haven't made it to your album yet but I have already heard about it even before I logged on tonight. I am sure that I will be very impressed and hang my head in shame over my projects. I really look forward to your input here, a different take on things from across the pond. Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
David,

Apparently, the line continues to form. Striking work--not only in craftsmanship, but designwise too.

Thanks for contributing. And I look forward to more! :mrgreen:

Why Not?
Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
Well, what a nice bunch of chaps you all are! Thank you so much for all the kind words - if only there was a good pub around here we could all get together for a pint.:)

I will keep you posted on the current project and see if I have anymore pics of the previous ones.

Thanks again, David

woodguy1975

New User
John
Don't forget about our get together here in Hickory. It would be a great chance to meet the guys. It looks like we'll have around 20. It is happening Sat. Oct. 29th. The details are in the "Members Announcement" section.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS