The best of ... power tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This is the third of a couple "the best of..." posts I've started. The idea behind it was to get people talking about tools and accessories and whatnot that they've used and really find to be of much use. Sometimes this is the unexpected satisfaction you get from a purchase, sometimes you knew it was coming ... but in every case, share it with us!

I'll get us started in this best of power tools thread. If you've purchased something as it relates to power woodworking tools and it is something you would highly recommend to a fellow woodworker ... tell us about it!

• Bandsaw Powerfeeder
    When I got it, I barely knew what it was or why anyone would really need one. I now find myself lost without it. Obviously a good bandsaw is critical, but the powerfeeder is what really sets it apart. It makes for consistent work, takes the "work" out of cutting the stock, and saves time. These are all things a power tool should do.
  • Palm Router
    So simple, but so convenient. I put this purchase off for a long time, then finally went for the Bosch Colt. It's a decent machine ... but I didn't call it by name for this bullet because my $15 Harbor Freight one does a near similar job. They are loud little machines, but you'll get over that if you use them for the little tasks.
  • Edge/Spindle Sander
    Though I recently parted ways with the Ridgid, that was the best little sander. It's an oscillating spindle sander and edge sander. Works like a champ and was very reliable. Make hard tasks pretty easy.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
When I was working a Makita 8" sander/polisher was the best because of the controllable aspects and a Dewalt Paddle minigrinder because of the toughness.Tony

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Ok here it goes:

1) router lift- no more under the table adjustments-heck I've never even taken my router out of the table

2) spiral upcut bits -- wow-wow-wow

3) Tormek-repeatability-it is slow though so you really still ned a slow speed grinder

4)a good work bench - I know it's not a power tool but it makes um easier to use

all I can think of now

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I recently purchased the Rigid osc. spindle sander you mentioned. Don't know how I got along without it. I had wanted one for some time, but the cost of Jet, etc. was just beyond my limited budget. I truly love the maching, and for about $120 it can't be beat.
Jim in Mayberry

Sully

New User
jay
Drum/thickness sander: Picked one up for a steal last summer. Now I don't know how I lived without it. It gets used on just about every project. Even shop jigs :embaresse

Bosch 10.8V Impact Driver: Awesome power and super light.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My Jet OSS. I have not used it a ton but great when I have

My Hawk 226 scroll saw (bought used)

My Dewalt 735 planner

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dowelmax doweling Jig This jig has never failed me. I use it for most all joinery using 3/8" x 1.5" dowels as well as 1/4" x 1.5". Yes it is a little pricey now, but it certainly does the job for me!

Makita LCT300W 18-Volt 3-Piece Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit A really great drill and impacter. Light and well balanced as well as powerful.

Dewalt 735 Planer Super planer BUT I think it is getting pretty expensive, especially not including infeed/outfeed tables!:elvis: Last price I saw was $649 w/o tables!

Craftsman 22124 TS This has been a workhorse and continues to be a great saw for me.

Bessey K-Body Clamps Probably the understated tool of a lot of shops but are great.

Milwaukee 5625-20 Great router in the table. Lots of power and never skips a beat!

Wayne

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Felder combination machines in my estimation are at the top of the list.

For the smaller machines, I'll have to say Festool Domino.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
MM16 bandsaw...not so much the MM part or the 16 inch. I'll bet I'd be tickled with the MM20 or larger. A solid (heavy) BS with flat tires and a fence. The frame is strong, no need to do the adjust for drift thing, will resaw pretty doggone wide stock allows quick blade swap out.

I do all of my dimensional cutting and resawing on the BS now. The TS is great for dimensioned stock but the BS hasn't kicked back on me yet. I set the fence, resaw, flatten with jointer/planer (hand planes starting to creep in BTW), and get to work.

I don't have space for 2 bandsaws and the MM says, "who cares"? IMHO I would feel the same way if I'd gone Laguna LT16HD, or went with an older machine. I can't scroll on it yet but who knows what the future holds?

Chuck

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Woodrat
Right end up router table, box joint and dove tail cutter. Uses [strike]CNC [/strike], HAC (Human Assisted Control) technology. Cuts mortises and tenons clean and fast.

Festool Rotex 6" sander
Real workhorse sander, from 60 grit in Rotex mode to 600 grit finish sanding.

Shop Fox Radial DP
Head & table move all over the place for ease of setup.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hands Dowd is my:

Jet Exacta tablesaw left tilt. I bought it 12 years ago for $1300, it's one large tool that I bought new and paid over $300 for, It's done everything that I ever asked of it,and did it well.

The other two power tools that have exceeded all expectations (surprisingly) are...

Drill doctor

Worksharp 3000

Glennbear

Glenn
A majority of my power tools/machines are used/recycled/rebuilt etc. so for me to recommend their purchase to another woodworker is kind of pointless since they are no longer sold. I would however strongly recommend the DW735 planer as others have. It is still available at the BORG for $549 and has readily accepted everything I have thrown at it :wsmile:

M

McRabbet

I'd say that my best power tools are:

Grizzly G1023SLX 10" cabinet saw -- I bought it new in 2004 and it has been a rock solid workhorse. Best tool in my shop.

Woodmaster 26" drum sander -- I bought it used and it has greatly improved the final finish on panels and doors.

Worksharp 3000 Sharpening System - I won this gem at the 2008 Spring Picnic and it has greatly simplified keeping razor sharp edges on my chisels and plane blades.

Robert

New User
Robert
Fein Mulitimaster -has gotten into many a tight area, bailing me outta one.

Worksharp 3000 -Finally got an edge on the chisels that will cut wood rather than one that would just break through it.

Bosch 6" R/O Sander - Finally I can get a large area sanded without it being a lifetime goal.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on the Makita 18V Li-Ion kit
+1 on the Bosch 10.8V impactor
DeWalt 618 3-base router kit
Milwaukee 5625 router
Porter Cable biscuit joiner

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
This is the third of a couple "the best of..." posts I've started. The idea behind it was to get people talking about tools and accessories and whatnot that they've used and really find to be of much use. Sometimes this is the unexpected satisfaction you get from a purchase, sometimes you knew it was coming ... but in every case, share it with us!

I'll get us started in this best of power tools thread. If you've purchased something as it relates to power woodworking tools and it is something you would highly recommend to a fellow woodworker ... tell us about it!

• Bandsaw Powerfeeder
    When I got it, I barely knew what it was or why anyone would really need one. I now find myself lost without it. Obviously a good bandsaw is critical, but the powerfeeder is what really sets it apart. It makes for consistent work, takes the "work" out of cutting the stock, and saves time. These are all things a power tool should do.
  • Palm Router
    So simple, but so convenient. I put this purchase off for a long time, then finally went for the Bosch Colt. It's a decent machine ... but I didn't call it by name for this bullet because my $15 Harbor Freight one does a near similar job. They are loud little machines, but you'll get over that if you use them for the little tasks.
  • Edge/Spindle Sander
    Though I recently parted ways with the Ridgid, that was the best little sander. It's an oscillating spindle sander and edge sander. Works like a champ and was very reliable. Make hard tasks pretty easy.

NICE Thread WoodWrangler! :icon_thum

Now I have been very interested in all the post so far, and am getting jealous of all the cool tools that have been mentioned.

But I would have to saw the coolest power tool that I don't know how I could live without and didn't even know I would even like it is the
1: Lathe & woodriver acc. I just love the almost instant gratification.
2: Tablesaw for sure, it's my workhorse.

The third I am so glad I got even though I had buyer remorse after the purchase for about a week.:eusa_doh:in this thread: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/belated-tool-gloat-22587/#post232028

Anyway its the:
3: G0514 19" Bandsaw & how amazing of a power tool it is. :icon_cheers I have been resawing like crazy, (for the backgammon board) cutting scraps up, cutting circles, etc. I love it!:banana:

Now Jeremy I would like to see your powerfeeder in action if you could video that! :eusa_thin It sounds like it would help out resawing tremendously!:icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
DW-735 Planer and those little Bosch P-20 power drivers. Those two tools have take the abuse and still deliver day after day. Hard to say how many bd ft. of cypress and cedar the 735 has seen and the screws the P-20's have driven measure in the pounds.

My Bosch 5412L SCMS is also at the top of my list. More tool than I am a user.

:wwink:

Badabing

New User
Joe
Great thread! I have a few of the tools already mentioned and totally agree, I don't know how I worked withouth them before...

If I have to pick the power tools that I use the most and get the most satisfaction from, it would be these:

PM2000 Table Saw: the pride of my shop, best purchase I made as far as satisfaction and usage goes.

Rigid 18V Cordless tools: I have a few of these but the impact driver and two drills get the most use by far. I find that I pick one of these up just about every time I'm in the shop. Very convenient because I have three batteries so I never run dry, and I can chuck up three different bits at one time for use during a project.

HF Lathe: Best Bang for the Buck by far in my shop. I use it more than any other tool on a regular basis. While I'd love to have a bigger, fancier lathe, this one gets the job done with no problem. Eventually I'm hoping I'll actually need a bigger, fancier lathe but I can't come close to justifying that purchase right now.

Honorable Mentions: WorkSharp 3000, Incra LS fences on TS and Router table, Woodpeckers QuickLift in router table, Incra ruler. I know the Incra stuff doesn't qualify as power tools, but they definitely deserve to be mentioned :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS