The best of ... jigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This is the fifth of a couple "the best of..." posts I've started. The idea behind it was to get people talking about tools and accessories and whatnot that they've used and really find to be of much use. Sometimes this is the unexpected satisfaction you get from a purchase, sometimes you knew it was coming ... but in every case, share it with us!

I'll get us started in this best of jigs thread. If you've made or purchased something as it relates to woodworking jigs and it is something you would highly recommend to a fellow woodworker ... tell us about it!

Here's my list:

• JDS Multi-Router
    Hard to classify this as a jig, or power tool, but at it's core it's really just a jig used primarily for mortise/tenon joinery. It uses a fixed router to make the cuts. I never imagined I'd have one and probably doesn't get enough use around my shop, BUT when it does I remember how much I really like it. Beautiful fitting, quickly made, mortise/tenon joints are such a treat with it.
  • Dado Jig
    I think this came out of Wood magazine, but not 100% sure as it's been years. But the idea is an adjustable jig that you size to the piece of wood you want to fit into the dado then just use a bearing router bit to create an exactly perfect fitting dado. Always perfect, clean bottom dados is SWEET!
  • Woodline Route-R-Joint
    Though I've only done test cuts with it, this thing is pretty cool. It makes a wide variety of joints, like dovetails and such, quickly and easily on the router table. I probably like it best because of the results, but the setup is a bit cheesy.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
This one is easy:

Porter Cable 24" OmniJig (original version) - allows someone with as little experience as I have to cut dovetails

Taper jig (Joe Scharle design) - easy to use and, see above, and substitute tapered legs

Thin strip jig (another Joe scharle creation that I copied) - takes the hassle out of cutting thin strips.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thinking that a "Jig" or "Fixture" is a tool accessory, I would have to say I am very pleased with the Osborne #50-EB3 Excalibur miter gauge.

Extendable fence to 42" long. Left and right lateral adjustment
Easily transformed to left or right miter slot
3 guide bar width adjusting screws to ensure a solid fit with T-slot washer (removable)
Eccentric cam fine adjustment to get the angle exactly correct.
Preset detent bar for quick setting of common angles. Easily readable.
Lockable Flip stop.
Pre-drilled holes for adding auxiliary fence for "zero clearance" backing or a box-joint jig

All in all, very solidly built, very accurate, and a pleasure to use.

Go

M

McRabbet

I have several favorite jigs, some that I have purchased and some I've built. Two are really key in my shop:

Jointech Cabinetmaker Fence System -- I bought this at the Charlotte Woodwokring Show about ten years ago and have used it on my Router Table ever since.
cms_col1-row2.GIF
cms_col2-row2.GIF

cms_col1-row3.GIF
cms_col2-row3.GIF

Next is one I built myself from an idea in an old issue of Wood Magazine -- it is a special sled for cutting raised panels or tenon ends or bridle joints on my tablesaw.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on the tapering jig. The thin strip jig is great, but the tapering jig is phenomenal.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I am real partial to the Leigh Dovetail (D4) and FMT jigs. I think they are fairly easy to use and produce great results.

Regards,

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
The table saw sleds get used most - are they classified as jigs? Shop made crosscut, panel sled, spline jig and of mostly the Incra miter sled.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS