The Accurate Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I received my Wood Magazine today and was reading about a guide that uses two small scraps of plywood or wood you are using to cut dadoes in that automatically sets the spacing between the first and second router passes. (Page 34 issue171 September 2006). Pricey but beleive you can build one. If you interested might want to check Website: www.accuratewoodtools.com Terry:eusa_thin

Last edited:

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I agree it's a bit pricy, but it looks like it would work. I made a jig that wood has several years ago that works great for me, so I wouldn't need this one.
If you get it, let us know how it works.
jim in Mayberry

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The price isn't too bad. While it looks like the jig accurately cuts dadoes, it doesn't register the location of the jig vs the dado/shelf- you still have to set the fence somewhere.

A better jig from one of the WW mags is one where the router rides on two pieces of tempered hardboard or the like, which each have a hardwood fence. You build it so the hardboard sticks out slightly more than the distance from the edge of the router to the bit on one side and wide enough for a second bit and clamping area on the other side. To calibrate the jig (only needs to be done once per side per bit) you run the router against each fence, which trims the hardboard exactly to the edge of the bit. From then on, just clamp one half of the jig on one of your layout lines, put a piece of shelf between the hardboard pieces, snug up the other half and clamp it. The edges of the hardoard always show exactly where the bit will cut.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Another product, Dial a Dado, does a very good job. It is mounted to base of router. There is an eccentric disk, that you just dial in for second cut. I bought one at IWF two years ago and have liked it very much. Toolferrone had them on clearance back in early spring. Retail is about $40.00

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I did a review of the Accurate Guide a little while ago (link below, includes a video of it working) and found this thing is VERY accurate. In fact, if you use samples of the wood that will go in the dado, you often have to add a single layer of paper to make room for glue! The trick part of this tool is the accuracy of the machining, especially at the step where the samples go.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/accurateguidervu.html

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
This is the handiest jig I ever built. From ShopNotes. Doesn't even care about thickness of the piece that fits in the dado/rabbet. Just squeeze the piece or sample between the guides, route 1 way and then the other. It's self clamping and the clamping doesn't change the setup, so you make multiple dados after setting the first. See it here.
http://www.shopnotes.com/main/sn76-toc.html

Rabbet1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS