That tree

tandemsforus

John
User
Got up this morn to find a tree out back had come down, almost. Should be a fun weekend project! This looks like a classic "widow maker"
My question is
first- I think its one of the elm family
second- The base is 27 inches across so I could get some slabs off it once it's down. If it is elm is it worth slabbing? Never worked with Elm so, not sure how it is for woodworking, or even burning in my stove.....
Thoughts??

John

Attachments

• WIN_20200925_14_10_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200925_14_10_35_Pro.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 150
  • WIN_20200925_17_00_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200925_17_00_06_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • WIN_20200925_17_01_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200925_17_01_34_Pro.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 156

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Doesn't split so firewood is difficult. Has some nice grain but tends to move a lot as it dries. Could get some bowl blanks out of it. Used to make water pipes out of it because it won't rot if it stays wet.

Roy G

llucas

luke
Senior User
I have made some very nice bowls out of elm. And I think some furniture made with elm has a great grain pattern.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Got up this morn to find a tree out back had come down, almost. Should be a fun weekend project! This looks like a classic "widow maker"
My question is
first- I think its one of the elm family
second- The base is 27 inches across so I could get some slabs off it once it's down. If it is elm is it worth slabbing? Never worked with Elm so, not sure how it is for woodworking, or even burning in my stove.....
Thoughts??

John
It does look like an Elm leaf. Smooth top surface is American Elm and sandpaper like surface is the Slippery Elm. Both are difficult to plane by hand in the direction of growth and I have mostly planed across the grain and used scrapers to work the wood.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS