Thanks John!!! Turned a couple of pens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Well, today is the first chance I have had to turn any pens since class. I used the 3-3-3 method and they look sharp. Thanks for teaching us that method. I want to try to the CA finish, but forgot to bring gloves with me. I'd hate to buy more - we have two boxes at home. I'll get them next time I'm there.

cskipper

Cathy
I'll get pictures tomorrow in the daylight - don't want the glare of the flash to be overwhelming!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Fantastic. I do like both finish methods. The 3-3-3 method gives a touchable feel which a lot of people prefer. :)

Looking forward to those pics. :)

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
DavidF said:
Go on, give me clue -3-3-3???

Well, Dave I guess I'll tell you, but the folks that came to the class did pay good money. ;)

It is simply a finish system of 3 coats of each of three materials. First you apply 3 coats of sanding sealer. Follow that up by 3 coats of a shellac based friction polish. Then apply three coats of carnubax wax buffed to the desired sheen. Once complete let the finish rest for a day before doing a lot of handling. To let the carnuba, and friction polish fully harden.

It is a nice touchable finish.

Thanks,

John

cskipper

Cathy
Ok - I added a picture of the newest pens I've turned (had to prove they really do exist). You will most likely see that I am clueless about taking pictures. The one that seems like an odd shape is an odd shape. It was one of the mid-turning design changes.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Oooooh, aaaaaah..... somehow i think there may be a lathe in my future. Looks like a lot of fun.

cskipper

Cathy
We're turning the wood down from approximately 3/4"x3/4"x2 something down to pen size and shape. The hardware (tips, etc) come in kits.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice pens Cathy, what is the 3rd from the left in the picture with the big spread of pens made of?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cathy, some more fine looking pens:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I will have to get you "Pen People" to invade my shop someday and show me how it is done. Pens are one thing that I know my little lathe can handle. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I'd be glad to share my little bit of knowledge, as I am sure other turners wouild be as well. The third pen from the left in the large group is Bird's Eye Maple. Thanks for the kind words.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks. I'm doing better about the sizing. I need Jonz yo see the pictures - because he said "no pictures, it didn't happen".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS