Testing attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

No success when I tried to open the PDF file in a new tab -- I had Acrobat in another window, but nothing happened after several attempts.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
No success when I tried to open the PDF file in a new tab -- I had Acrobat in another window, but nothing happened after several attempts.
Yeah, it is not working. There is some problem, but I' m not sure what is.

I need to look at, but later. The whole attachment system is new with vb4.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Yeah, it is not working. There is some problem, but I' m not sure what is.

I need to look at, but later. The whole attachment system is new with vb4.

One issue is the %threadid% not actually being inserted (it is treated as literal text). But it isn't the whole issue only because manually inserting the threadid didn't get me anything useful.

cskipper

Cathy
Guessing that the way Steve listed the link (that it should have been inserted as a link) I just clicked on the link and got this message:
[h=1]Bad Request[/h]Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Everyone, please leave this alone for now. I will look at it some other time. I meant to delete this post, i was testing how something called the assest manager worked. Not really trying to allow attachments yet. I was trying to decide if the new attachment system in vb4 removes most of the issues that caused us to ban attachments in the first place.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Steve,

I have one practical question with respect to enabling attachments. Namely, what protections will we have in place to insure users do not attach copyrighted material to their posts?

This issue is avoided entirely when users merely post hyperlinks to offsite resources, but if they start actually attaching third-party material to their posts then it seems like we risk opening a can of worms if we enable the feature for our normal users. There is a lot of material freely downloadable on the internet that prohibits reproduction and redistribution by third-parties -- including user manuals and the like.

I just wanted to ask the question as it seems to have popped in my head while I was asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS