Tensioning Issue w/ New Bandsaw Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I just received a new Bladerunner bandsaw blade in the mail from Iturra Designs. After replacing the factory blade, I am having problems properly tensioning the new blade. It seems that the blade may be too long? :eusa_thin

Has anyone run into this issue before? I don't want to mess up the spring, but when it is set to the manufacturer's recommended 4-6 range and the tension lever is engaged, there is still quite a bit of slack. The tension gauge (a sticker on the inside of the upper wheel housing) goes up to 8. Even on 8 there is not enough. Please help!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, dumb question here....did you check to see if it isn't too long??
Often the "blade tension" indicators are only to get you in the range. But if you're maxing it out, then there is something wrong with the band.
Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Dave, I think that it has to be. It was kind of hard to put the two back to back and compare. The manf. spec is 131.5". I just put the stock blade back on with no problems. According to the billing slip, I was charged for 131.5", but Iturra is closed on Saturdays. Guess I'll find some string to measure with :BangHead:.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Well, I put my hands on a fabric tape measure and the new blade measures 132.25". The spec length is 131.5". I think I found the problem. That stinks.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Not sure how often this happens, but I bought a blade a few months ago that was too short! Received a replacement....also too short! Third try was a charm though.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do with a bandsaw blade that's too short? I suppose I could make a bow saw, but there are two problems with that:
1) I don't know how to make a bow saw and
2) I don't know how to make a bow saw

(technically, that's the same problem but I figured it was important enough to mention twice)

Wait...here's an idea: Michael, why don't you snip out half an inch or so, so I can lengthen mine? :)

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Michael, find a saw sharping company and ask if they weld band saw blades. they can cut the blade and reweld it to the 131.5 length.Can be done on Mikes blade to.
dick

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That's a good option Dick, but considering what I paid for the 2 blades, I expect to get the situation remedied with Iturra. I'm sure it's just an honest mistake.

If somone went after me with torches and pitchforks every time that I made an error in measuring, I'd be a goner! :eyeslam:

T

toolferone

Well, I put my hands on a fabric tape measure and the new blade measures 132.25". The spec length is 131.5". I think I found the problem. That stinks.

Mike, We can reweld it up at Raleigh Saw for $5.00, but Inturra should fix it for free.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Mike. You're right, it doesn't look overly complicated....at least the second one. Love the design on the first one, now _that_'s a saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS