Tension nut on 1950's Delta 14" bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
The tension adjustment has always been a little stiff on my old Delta bandsaw.
Tonight when I went to tension the blade I got to a place where I could not turn it. So I tried to back it off. It went a little bit and then got stuck as well.

Any ideas what I have done to my poor old bandsaw?!?

Thanks!
Salem

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
No expert so this is a guess but it sounds like you have a burr or other bad spot on the threads. The other thing to check is maybe a piece of wood, saw dust or other material is blocking the travel.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I guess I will have to pry the blade off to release the tension. Maybe then I can finesse the nut out.

Sully

New User
jay
Be sure the tension mechanism where the upper axle tilts is not hanging on the frame or wheel covers. If you get the nut off, chase the threads on the nut and rod and apply a drop or two of 3n1 oil.

J

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
use it till it needs changing then cut the blade with some tin snips.:icon_thum keeping the blade tensioned wont hurt a thing and all that prying may damage other parts.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Salem, the tension nut is a square 3/8" nut. Lowes stocks them in the drawers, in a pack of two. Somewhere here I have an old tension assembly, as I converted to a speeder handle years ago. It's yours as soon as I can locate it. You are welcome to use one of my "beta versions " of my speeder handle if you like. Bruce

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Bruce that sounds great! I should be able to make it out to disassemble the saw tomorrow to figure out the real damage :). No rush though, I won't really need it for probably a month. I have family vacation :) and a work trip to Armenia coming up :(.

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
I don't have a delta, but on my grizzly I keep "Never Sieze" on the adjustment bolt. At one point that was very hard to turn. Never Sieze keeps that adjustment real easy for the future.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS