Tenon Shoulder cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Maybe everybody knew this, but I recently discovered this tip when making shoulder cuts for tenons.

1. Set your fence cursor to 1-1/8" (assuming your blade is standard.)

For 3/32" thin kerf blades, set the fence to 1-3/32"
If your blade is non-standard, set the fence to 1" plus the blade kerf.

It doesn't matter whether the fence to blade setting is dead on, because this technique relies on the accuracy of the calibrated tape under the cursor, not the dimension from fence to blade.

2. Rip a piece of hardwood. Mark it as 1" gauge.

3. To cut specific shoulders, set the fence to 1" beyond the desired depth of cut. For example, for a 3/4" deep tenon, set the fence at 1-3/4".

4. Clamp the gauge against the fence as a stop block.

5. Cut away.

Note that this technique will work for for any desired cutoff, so if you need a series of 20" drawer sides, set your gauge as a stop block, set the fence to 21", and...

6. Cut away.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's a good tip. Kinda like burning an inch on a tape measure. Very important to add that inch or you'll end up a inch shy :BangHead::BangHead:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

showphoto.php

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Dave, don't worry. If you don't add the inch, nothing will happen except you will :BangHead: :BangHead: when the blade slices air.

woodguy1975

New User
John
That is a good tip.

I have a sled I use for doing my tenon shoulders. Just clamp a block the desired distance away from the blade and you are all set. As long as your sled cuts square you get good results.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS