Temporary Connecting Legs - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
OK Guys,

I need some help. I'm in the process of building an oak tool box for a buddy to show with his restored 1931 Chevy Phaeton.

The tool box is finished and now I need to make stand to display the box while the car is on exhibition. The box is 10" x 22". The tray stand needs to be collapsible so that it can be stored in the car boot. I plan to make the stand as a tray that will fit the box and it would be about 3.5" wide with a lip inside that the box would rest on. My problem is with the legs. I've scaled them at 1.5" Sq and about 21.5" tall.

Attaching the legs is the problem. I would like to use some sort of a snap apart mechanical fastener so that the legs could be pushed in to set up and then pulled out to store in the tray/stand. Here a are some pics of the box and a mock-up of my proposed solution. I would mount a block and house the sides so that the leg would fit in (with some sort of fastener) a male and a female arrangement. My fall back is a brass threaded insert in the leg top with a flat head brass screw set from the top of the mounting block. Problem there is that the screws will get lost plus it's a clumsy way to set up.
------------------------------------------------

Guys, First thanks for all the input...the suggestions were real good and innovative.

The final result was to use Rare Earth Magnets. Here's a few pics of the result. The legs lock in securely and the partial haunched tenon in a housing prevents any racking. The legs then can be stored in the bottom of the tray and are held in place with battens secured with rare earth magnets.

Thanks for looking and again thanks for all the input.

Dan C.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 102

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That is a really neat solution Dan. I saw your original thread with the question but had no answers to suggest.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Bill,

Absolutely no wobble. The tenon fits snugly and the partial haunch prevents any racking. I can't believe how strong the mags are.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS