Teetering on the edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey all,

I have just become the new recipient of the GW lathe, I know, no pics didn't happen. But Steve (sediener) had a baby with a cold and I had a six and an eight year old with me, neither of us thought about pics:eusa_doh:.

Anyway, I am at the top of the slope and Dave and other 'Dark siders' are putting down grease and waiting for me to slide. Maybe I will, or maybe I won't (mu ha ha) but I've now got a chance to test the waters and I have a life jacket before I go in too deep. The future is in front of me and into the dark I will stride.

This story has just begun and I will document as many of the steps I take as possible, so stay tuned.

Jimmy:)

ps. I would like to thank Steve and the others involved in giving me this chance.:eusa_clap

DavidF

New User
David
Hey all,

I have just become the new recipient of the GW lathe, I know, no pics didn't happen. But Steve (sediener) had a baby with a cold and I had a six and an eight year old with me, neither of us thought about pics:eusa_doh:.

Anyway, I am at the top of the slope and Dave and other 'Dark siders' are putting down grease and waiting for me to slide. Maybe I will, or maybe I won't (mu ha ha) but I've now got a chance to test the waters and I have a life jacket before I go in too deep. The future is in front of me and into the dark I will stride.

This story has just begun and I will document as many of the steps I take as possible, so stay tuned.

ps. I would like to thank Steve and the others involved in giving me this chance.:eusa_clap

Have fun with it, but beware, that GW lathe ended up costing me $900!:wrolleyes:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I tried turning for a little while, but didn't spend enough on it and was getting in over my head (too much wood on too little lathe in too small a space) and sold it after flirting with disaster a couple of times. I still want to "do it right" one of these days. It's one of thise things that is hard to explain until you try it. The feel of a proper cut is very cool. You start looking at things differently; hitting the brakes when you see gnarly piece of trunk in a yard waste pile and checking the ends of the firewood when you go into the grocery store (I got some walnut at Lowe's Foods one time :gar-Bi). Some of the best advice I was given early on was to get some green limbs and turn a bunch of mushrooms. Very forgiving.

Have fun with it!

-Andy

woodrat

New User
Archie
Yo, Jimmy

I don't mean to iggorrant or nutin', but what the heck is the "Dark Side"?
I know what it means in some circles, but here, I have no idea.

Splain it to me pleeze. :gar-Bi

Thanks,

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Archie,

The 'Dark Side' refers to those people that chose to make square wood round, instead of the 'proper' way of making it flat. If it were up to some people (those whos names we do not mention), there would be no such thing as planers or jointers. Now, how silly is that ? I have tried to get people to band up against the 'Dark Side', but to no avail, they seem to have spies everywhere, we must all check our basements for pods. But...there are no basements in NC, so where do they hide the pods:dontknow:.

Like I said, I am doing this for the good of mankind, and only for the good of mankind. By trying to infiltrate them, I will hope fully find the pods, which we can then destroy and bring all normalcy back to earth. The next thing they are going to tell me is that the earth is round. Yeah like that is real:lol:, and even if it were it wouldn't be because of the 'Dark Side'.

I have to end this letter now because I fear that they have infiltrated my aluminum, or aluminium as the British say:eusa_whis, covered walls.

Keep up the good fight brothers.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jimmy, so when am I giving you a turnin' lesson :icon_thum

If you start sliding down that slippery slope I might want to move to the left of the bottom :5eek::5eek::5eek::5eek:

You're gonna love it, if I could get to my lathe I would be turning right now.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Congrats Jimmy! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I can't wait to see some pics! :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy, so when am I giving you a turnin' lesson :icon_thum

If you start sliding down that slippery slope I might want to move to the left of the bottom :5eek::5eek::5eek::5eek:

You're gonna love it, if I could get to my lathe I would be turning right now.

Dave:)

Dave,

When I get this lathe set up, probably in a week or two, I will give you a call and head over to your place. The reason that it's taking me so long, is that I have to check all of the tools for bugs, I know they're watching, and especially for any mind altering microbes that can attach to me and make me into one of "those who think in the round".

Also, I have a large shop and it's going to take a lot of aluminum foil, and quite a while, to cover the inside walls.

Talk to you soon, maybe Thursday.:icon_bigg

woodrat

New User
Archie
Archie,

The 'Dark Side' refers to those people that chose to make square wood round, instead of the 'proper' way of making it flat. If it were up to some people (those whos names we do not mention), there would be no such thing as planers or jointers. Now, how silly is that ? I have tried to get people to band up against the 'Dark Side', but to no avail, they seem to have spies everywhere, we must all check our basements for pods. But...there are no basements in NC, so where do they hide the pods:dontknow:.

Like I said, I am doing this for the good of mankind, and only for the good of mankind. By trying to infiltrate them, I will hope fully find the pods, which we can then destroy and bring all normalcy back to earth. The next thing they are going to tell me is that the earth is round. Yeah like that is real:lol:, and even if it were it wouldn't be because of the 'Dark Side'.

I have to end this letter now because I fear that they have infiltrated my aluminum, or aluminium as the British say:eusa_whis, covered walls.

Keep up the good fight brothers.

Man,

You have been watching way too much Sci-Fi. But, I
actually remember the movie you are referring to when
you say "Pods". I love Sci-Fi...well the older stuff anyway.
Don't care much for things busting outta the stomach
and/or going down the throat and such as that.

Thanks for the clarification.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on the GW lathe Jimmy :icon_thum
I'm convinced it has special powers.

Can anyone name all the worthy recipients??? :5help:

Here's what I remember:
Steve Coles received it from NCWWers at first Spring Picnic
We loaded it into DavidF's Suburau once
Dolan had it
Sdenier (sp?) had it
JimmyC has it

Roger

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Archie,

Do not make fun of these postings:eusa_hand, or I will have to believe that you are one of "them". This is a matter of Nat'l Security, not something to fool with. Next time you are over I will Deputize you and de-program you from any notions othet than wooden made objects are all supposed to be level, plumb and definitely "flat".

I'm signing of now my friend.

ps. Don't forget Reagans favorite saying: Here are the 10 words all Americans are afraid of : " I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
we must all check our basements for pods. But...there are no basements in NC, so where do they hide the pods:dontknow:
Hey, I resemble that remark! No basements in NC....

I regularly check my basement for pods. So far, no issues. And remember - when in the company of one of them Turner fellows (it's one massive alien hive race with a last name of Turner), or even near a lathe, or one of them funny rounded chisels - DON'T FALL ASLEEP! You wake up, and you have the irresistible urge to rotate everything you find and turn your cutting boards into pepper mills.

If you find yourself in this situation, the only remedy is to contact Jack. Jack Plane. Or his little brother, Scrub Plane. In a pinch, the not-so-smart Block Plane will do as well. If all else fails, Power Plane will do the job.

Is the turning side stronger? No. Faster, easier, more seductive. Once you go down its path, forever will it consume you. I hope this hasn't made you afraid of woodworking. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to lathe, lathe leads to suffering!

To switch from Sci-Fi to the Classics: Perhaps we should rename the Good Will Lathe to the Trojan Horse :)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey, I resemble that remark! No basements in NC....

I regularly check my basement for pods. So far, no issues. And remember - when in the company of one of them Turner fellows (it's one massive alien hive race with a last name of Turner), or even near a lathe, or one of them funny rounded chisels - DON'T FALL ASLEEP! You wake up, and you have the irresistible urge to rotate everything you find and turn your cutting boards into pepper mills.

If you find yourself in this situation, the only remedy is to contact Jack. Jack Plane. Or his little brother, Scrub Plane. In a pinch, the not-so-smart Block Plane will do as well. If all else fails, Power Plane will do the job.

Is the turning side stronger? No. Faster, easier, more seductive. Once you go down its path, forever will it consume you. I hope this hasn't made you afraid of woodworking. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to lathe, lathe leads to suffering!

To switch from Sci-Fi to the Classics: Perhaps we should rename the Good Will Lathe to the Trojan Horse :)

Bas,

I just realized something: Good Will lathe.... Will Goodwin. Maybe, just maybe we're onto something here. After all Will game from nowhere and instantly became a site Administrator with less than five posts to his name, and the lathe represents "The Dark Side". I'll report this to my superiors and see what they have to say.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
JIMMY! SAY IT AIN'T SO, MAN! NOT YOU!

THINK OF THE FOLKS IN JERSEY!! DON'T EVEN PLUG THAT THING IN!!

LOOK AT WHAT THE DS HAD DONE TO PEOPLE LIKE WOODARTZ, EAGLE, MIKE DAVIS, EVEN IVEY'S GOT ONE!

BE STRONG, MAN! CALL ME IF YOU NEED TO TALK!

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another good man bites the dust. Saw dust that is. Fight it Jimmy. Be strong. :gar-Bi

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
No basements in NC? Every house I ever lived in had one, and I've never lived more than 20 miles from right here....
I forget most y'all are from the other side of Charlotte~
must be a "east" thing??
Either way 'turn it - don't burn it"
:eusa_naug

JRD

New User
Jim
I strongly object to an earlier post calling "flat" the proper state for a piece of wood!

Everyone knows trees, the source of all wood, are round - not flat.

We turners are only trying to correct the errors that have been made by trying to get all that good wood round again, its natural state.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the dark side.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I just realized something: Good Will lathe.... Will Goodwin. Maybe, just maybe we're onto something here.
I think so! Even scarier...Will Goodwin = Wood Willing!

It's not a conspiracy theory if everyone is really out to get us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS