Target Coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I've seen many mention on this and other forums about Target Coatings and I'm thinking of making the plunge. I tried reading through their literature and either I missed some things or they were there so I thought I'd ask here.

1. Do most people use the EmTech 6000 Production Lacquer or something else? That seems to be the most popular for just regular indoor projects.

2. Roughly how much does 32oz and 1gal cover? The 1gal seems like a much better deal but I don't want to have a ton left over which goes to waste. I am just a hobbyist who is lucky to create a sizable piece of furniture a year.

3. What is the shelf life of their lacquers?

4. I'm curious to know which sheen most people use. Their website claims the satin and gloss are the most popular, but I have typically used semi-gloss lacquers for the few projects I have done up to this point as a happy medium.

Thanks

DavidF

New User
David
I have always used the Target products since I started spraying and have no experience of other brands, but as of now I see no reason to change, they really do make me look like I can spray!!! I use the Oxford Ultima WB lacquer and the WB Shellac. I use the amber shellac. On the last project a quart of the lacquer easily did 2 coats on two night stands with drawers. I bought the lacquer around April 2007, and I used 3/4 of it for the night stands. I used some in January for a turned piece and it was fine. two weeks ago I came to use the last 1" and it was a bit thick and gummy and wasn't good. So my last can did just around 2 years!!! My stuff is kept out in the shop on a shelf and only brought in on freezing nights. Another benefit is that Jeff at Target is extremely helpful as is the forum on the site. I forgot, I use Satin.

Also forgot that I have also used the EM8000 conversion varnish for a table top that I needed a bit more protection on. A bit thicker than the ultima and didn't lay as well, but it was really a bit too cold. I have found a shop temp of 70 Deg is the perfect temp while making sure that the project is also at a good temperature. IE don't turn the heat on and start to spray as soon as the shop is up to temp.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS