Tapping into the brain trust....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have a 48" wide, 72" tall, 20" deep pantry that I must attach to the wall in order to prevent it's falling over. The issue I'm facing is that there is a pocket door in the wall directly behind where it is going.

I thought about attaching a long 4/4 board to the back of the cabinet, extended to reach studs to the left side of the cabinet, but I'm not sure how much security that might offer. Would not be very attractive either.

Ideas? :dontknow:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
pocket doors do have some framing in them. If you can pull the door out and look back in there you will see what it has. I have seen some with vertical and some with horizontal supports. You should be able to locate them with a stud finder. you can screw right to the supports but you have to be careful about the length of screws you use. measure the cabinet back thickness and any additional distance you may have between it and the wall and add 1/2" for the sheetrock and no more than 1 additional inch. 3/4" would be better. go easy and dont sock em home all at once. a little at a time and keep sliding the door slightly each time. If you get any resistance stop and check it out. you dont want to screw through the door! DAMHIKT:gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Or you could drill from the door side into the cabinet and use carriage bolts to attach the cabinet.

yanmarman2007

New User
Jody
One more option, Two french cleats attached with liquid nail and butterfly bolts. That is if you have enough clearance.:eusa_thin

jerrye

New User
Jerry
pocket doors do have some framing in them. If you can pull the door out and look back in there you will see what it has. I have seen some with vertical and some with horizontal supports. You should be able to locate them with a stud finder. you can screw right to the supports but you have to be careful about the length of screws you use. measure the cabinet back thickness and any additional distance you may have between it and the wall and add 1/2" for the sheetrock and no more than 1 additional inch. 3/4" would be better. go easy and dont sock em home all at once. a little at a time and keep sliding the door slightly each time. If you get any resistance stop and check it out. you dont want to screw through the door! DAMHIKT:gar-Bi

Fred is DA MAN!!!!

Looked into the wall past the door and sure enough there is a 1x4 horizontal crossmember that I can anchor to.

Once again, the depth and breadth of knowledge here comes through! I just hope someday I can contribute to it.... :nah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS