Tapering Table Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Can anyone help me identify the best way to taper table legs safely on my Rigid TS2400 TS? (I am tapering 1 3/4 stock and my commercial taperinf jig seems to place the stock too close to the metal jig. (I know... this is a pretty simple problem, but I am a novice after all!)

Thanks in Advance,

Wayne

Monty

New User
Monty
I hate those metal jigs. I bought one, and almost used it once (just like you're describing -- just doesn't seem safe, does it?).

Here, look at this recent thread on Woodnet. I think making a simple sled is the best way. You can make or buy clamps... use it for zero clearance with the blade... make it as simple or complex as you want... a great solution overall.

Oh, and using a runner is a good idea. ;-) :lol:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome!

I Think that you have given me an excellent solution!

Thanks so much!

Wayne

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Rip them on a bandsaw! Current issue (Jan 2006) of American Woodworker has one of the best articles on how to do this, that I have seen. Rip them on bandsaw (no danger of kick back) and clean them up on jointer. You could use a hand plane to clean them up also.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I use a tapering sled similar to the one referred to on your first reply. However, mine has a pin at front to slip into a small hole on the end of your leg. This one has worked real well for me. I like the sled concept better than any of the other that I've looked at. kickback is virtually eliminated with this design.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I found the source for the taper jig I use.

It was from WoodSmith/ShopSmith and plans can be found here:

http://plansnow.com/taperjig.html
taperji1.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks a lot Guys!
This input will give me several solutions! (The only one that I may have trouble with is the bandsaw solution. Don't have one ----- yet!) I guess that is part of the dreaded WoodGuy Disease! Maybe some day!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
I almost never make super-dooper adjustable jigs, just can't be bothered. I tend to make the roughest one use jigs; not the pretty things you often see. One reason is that if a cut needs to go into the jig or does by accident! then I don't care. I use the cheap metal commercial taper jig, but I quite like the type that David Marks makes for his projects. I may well build in a front stock gripper to the metal one just to make me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors