Tapering Jigs - Why?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I want to build a tapering jig. Don't need one right now, but it's been on my to do list for years. ( I know how to taper legs on the jointer.) Looking a you tubes, books, and magazines, all ride on the right side of the blade. None on the left. By riding on right side of the blade, my left arm is over the blade. Not exactly smart, IMHO. I'm really attached to my left arm. So I'm thinking about building mine to ride in left miter slot. Is there some unknown to me reason, it can't ride in left miter slot?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I want to build a tapering jig. Don't need one right now, but it's been on my to do list for years. ( I know how to taper legs on the jointer.) Looking a you tubes, books, and magazines, all ride on the right side of the blade. None on the left. By riding on right side of the blade, my left arm is over the blade. Not exactly smart, IMHO. I'm really attached to my left arm. So I'm thinking about building mine to ride in left miter slot. Is there some unknown to me reason, it can't ride in left miter slot?
Some years ago I made one from Shop Notes? and one day wanted to make a tapered bevel on something using my right-tilt saw. I converted the fixture to run in the left miter slot and used it that way ever since.
0937A146-79C9-40A8-80FD-1A0705DEA312.jpeg

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Bruce - some taper jigs, including commercial ones, are not usable IMNSHO.
I have a sled that tracks in one miter slot, with a reasonably long and large plywood base. Edge of the plywood is at the cut line. I move the mounting blocks and DeStaco clamps (screwed in) around in order to securely hold the piece to be cut in place. Works for me the few times I have cut tapers (table legs mostly). I might be able to post a pic of the ugly beast if you need more evidence than a vague textual explanation.

EDIT - and in using this jig my hands are placed just as if ripping a piece of wood. So familiar and normal placement. Mine is set up to the right of the blade, but this could all be reversed easily. - end EDIT

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Only difference right to left is if tilting the blade. Right or left, as far as your hands, should not be an issue as you should include a guard and hand holds on your jigs.
Make a full size sled you can clamp the work to. Those two arm things they sell are horribly dangerous. I used the fence as the guide instead of a runner. Many designs on the WEB. 3 inch oak table legs. Easy as can be with no drama. Mine was to the right of the blade, and I stood completely to the right of the blade. No where near it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS