tapering boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
i need to taper a board from 3'' to 2.5'' .what method would yall recomend?ive read about using a jointer ,but its a little unclear.i made a taper jig forthe tablesaw,but it realy only works one sided.i guess i could make one oppisite.or could i utilize the router table. this onre has me a little puzzled. i realy dont want to freehand saw them.thanks

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
i need to taper a board from 3'' to 2.5'' .what method would yall recomend?ive read about using a jointer ,but its a little unclear.i made a taper jig forthe tablesaw,but it realy only works one sided.i guess i could make one oppisite.or could i utilize the router table. this onre has me a little puzzled. i realy dont want to freehand saw them.thanks

I use a jig I made for the table saw to taper table legs. The legs are usually 2" or less in thickness and I only taper the inside of the legs. So I make one cut, rotate the leg 90 degrees and make the second cut---that gives me adjacent tapers the same and using the same jig without changing set up.

What are the dimensions of the board you want to taper? If it is tapered from opposite sides you can not use the same set up----you will have to adjust the jig for the second cut.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can eaily use a jig like Jerry mentioned. But you will have to tape the off cut back on to compensate for the already cut face. You might need to shim it also to take up the kerf stock removal, if you want to be very precise.
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
You can eaily use a jig like Jerry mentioned. But you will have to tape the off cut back on to compensate for the already cut face. You might need to shim it also to take up the kerf stock removal, if you want to be very precise.
Dave:)

That's how I do it - very easy and quick to make for the TS

welldigger

New User
Scott
I have used a straight piece of plywood as a sled and use double stick carpet tape(the reinforced kind) to secure my workpiece at the desired angle and run the sled against the rip fence

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have done the tablesaw jig and as others mentioned it does work well. I have done the jointer method as well. For the jointer method, put a piece of masking tape around all 4 sides just above where you want the taper to begin. Set your jointer for a 1/8" cut and starte the piece on the jointer just below the tape. Make 4 passes to get a 1/2". The tape is just a reference point for starting and eliminates a bit of snipe. It does work and doesn't have burning like you can sometimes get with a tablesaw. If you do go the tablesaw route, you can always clean the sawn edges up with the jointer as well.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
As mentioned, you can cut opposing tapers on t TS with a normal taper jig. Replacing the cutoff ABD a shim equal to the kerf-width is crucial to get identical tapers without trying to figure out how to reset the jig.
I have a story on this with photos at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/cutoposgtprs.html

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Tom, thanks for the link. I have been following the post and your photos are a huge help for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS