taper jig for tablesaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
any advice,or a plan for making a taper jig for my tablesaw? i know they are pretty cheap,but if i could make one from scraps i have that would be even better

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
A door hinge is your friend, as well as an opportunity to practice your chisel sharpening and mortising skill.

Believe it or not, I wholeheartedly encourage you to use scraps.

Toddler

New User
Todd
American Woodworker had plans for one two issues ago. It was a melamine board with a miter slot insert on the bottom. They put two t-tracks perpendicular to the miter slot on the top and attached a board to those. That board set the taper angle.

Then they attached two hold down clamps to the "angle setting" board to hold your piece to the melamine.

The Melamine acted like a zero clearance insert/sled because they cut it after they put the miter guide insert on the bottom.

Pretty cool looking. You loose 3/4" depth of cut and might need to clamp another piece of Melamine to other side of the table to support the cut off piece, but handy if you want to make several identical pieces.

Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
You need it thick enough to router out the t-track slots.

The two t-tracks run perpendicular to the blade. They let you set the taper angle guide which sets both the angle and the distance from the blade.

You set it up once with your cut line right at the sled edge, tighten your angle guide board down, and then you can simply clamp pieces to the sled and get repeated cuts.

Todd

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I have one of those aluminum taper jigs...the thing scares me every time I use it on the table saw so it has found a home on the bandsaw. I plan on making a wood jig with clamps at some point for the table saw.

Regards,

Bill

eezlock

New User
Jim Heffner
If you can find the American Woodworker magazine Dec 06 & Jan 07 issue
they have a section on page 68 with several tablesaw jigs, one of them is
a taper cut jig. All the items you need to buy (hardware) is a couple of
toggle hold down clamps, star knobs & bolts and 2 pieces of t-track.
If you want to get more elaborate with it you could substitute the hardwood miter runner for an Incra miter slider...but that is a matter
of choice in my opinion. eezlock:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS