Tape For Sealing Dust Collector Connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used it to weather seal electrical connections, (ex: repairs to an extension cord) and it does work well for bulky and odd shaped items. If your ducting is corrugated, etc, it may seal better than the aluminum tape because it is flexible. If you are also using clamps, I would put the clamps over the tape unless you are wanting to pad any sharp edges of the clamps. It is a lot more expensive than HVAC tape.

Realize for this type of tape to seal, you stretch it as you apply it, (similar to applying an Ace bandage) so the nominal width narrows some. Also, you may have to secure the last end with regular tape, etc, to keep it from coming loose. If any dirt or dust gets on it when applying, it probably will not adhere.

Go

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd really appreciate a link to what we're talking about here as I'm not following it. Probably my problem.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
This is a silicone tape that only seals to itself under pressure from stretching it. It does not use adhesive, but will make an air-tight, water-tight seal as it solidifies into place. You have to cut it away, but it leaves no mess behind so it's good for connections you may want to take apart at some point. Some folks have preferred it to the aluminum HVAC tape for these reasons. You can get it in various widths. Other brand names: Xfasten, Rescue. Amazon carries all of them, just search on "silicone self fusing tape".

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I'd really appreciate a link to what we're talking about here as I'm not following it. Probably my problem.

Ken, I just happened to stumble across this Stumpy Nubs YouTube video in which he demonstrates using the silicone self-adhesive tape on his flex hose connections to his PVC piping due to the silicone tape's ability to deal with flexing joints:

https://youtu.be/iupoOcMn2aI?t=271

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS