Tall vise drawings

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
It is a bit over six months since eight tall vises were built in Phil Soper’s home workshop. The participants that were in that NCWW workshop that I have spoken with generally comment something like “I use it all the time” or “Never thought I would use it this much”.

I added detailed vise drawings to the Resources section of this site shortly after the workshop. Some 68 downloads of the plans have not resulted in any reports of a vise being constructed. Has anyone tried to build this vise?

Don’t be intimidated by the metal work. Al is easily worked with woodworking tools. For the workshop, I pre-made the X-cross arms so that we could finish the workshop in one day. The only critical part of the arms is that the three 5/16” holes are spaced properly and in a straight line. The periphery of the arms is shaped only for clearance and is not critical to be spot on.

In order to maybe pique some interest, I’m asking workshop participants to add to this thread how they use their vises including some photos.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have shown off my vise from the workshop several times. Everyone that sees mine says that if there was another workshop, they would sign up! I just happened to show it off to a visitor from Charlotte yesterday. That was his comment, he'd drive from Charlotte if he had too to attend a one day workshop to make one of your vises! He also said he'd really like to see more workshops in the Charlotte area. Just curious Mike if you did another workshop I know Bill is more that direction and maybe easier for the folks from that direction. I don't know of any other shops large enough to have a workshop of this nature.

I should add that I would be willing to come assist to help in another workshop. I wouldn't plan to make another vise, just help out so everyone is successful. And I'd be happy to bring mine along so other can see what's possible in a one day workshop!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have enjoyed using mine since the workshop. I too would like to see more workshops and if you do another I’d be glad to lend a hand helping folks along.
7134608E-9BCA-4202-AEE1-BDE659E21F77.jpeg

DD1F3971-0B91-4873-A3BA-A8F91432BF90.jpeg

37C1A6FF-9B67-4BE7-8C14-9F307DB51A9D.jpeg

I have used it for more than carving saw handles. It just I like taking pictures of the handles as they progress.

Nicholsjr

Jordan
Senior User
I have shown off my vise from the workshop several times. Everyone that sees mine says that if there was another workshop, they would sign up! I just happened to show it off to a visitor from Charlotte yesterday. That was his comment, he'd drive from Charlotte if he had too to attend a one day workshop to make one of your vises! He also said he'd really like to see more workshops in the Charlotte area. Just curious Mike if you did another workshop I know Bill is more that direction and maybe easier for the folks from that direction. I don't know of any other shops large enough to have a workshop of this nature.

I should add that I would be willing to come assist to help in another workshop. I wouldn't plan to make another vise, just help out so everyone is successful. And I'd be happy to bring mine along so other can see what's possible in a one day workshop!
Seeing this vise in person was awesome. I would love to attend the next workshop regardless of the project. It would be a great opportunity to learn from the real ones and not just my youtube education.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS