Tablesaw to Enge Sander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi All,

I have an old Crafstman direct drive 8 inch table saw tucked away in the corner and was wondering if it would be possible to remove the blade and convert it to an edge sander?

Would I just need to try and find an 8 inch sanding disk that will slide onto the arbor?

Or. Would this be an entire waste of time?

Thanks,

Wayne

hpetty

New User
Hugh
ShopSmith has used it that way for years. It's been a while since I had mine so I can't remember if you had to slow the speed down any. Maybe someone with more current experience can chime in.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have seen them and they used to be pretty common. Just get one to fit a 5/8th arbor. Don't remember if they were 8 inch or 10 inch though. Heck, Sears may still carry them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've seen them offered also. Can't remember where, but it is very do-able and a good idea if you have a spare saw lying around. Maybe check Klingspor, they have everything else for sanding.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wayne, Woodworker's Supply has a 10" disk with a 5/8" bore for the arbor on their web site (click here). I believe their actual catalog had other arbor bore sizes available but I am not sure what other disk sizes they have available.

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks a lot guys. I was almost feeling embarassed asking the question. (In part admiting that I actually owned a 8" Crafstman TA. It was fun to work with, way back then.....but not too accurate.)

I will check out Woodworker's Supply and Sears.

Again. Thanks a bunch!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I saw one in Woodcraft's catalog. About $18 bucks with $5 PSA disks in variuos grits. It's for a 10" saw, make sure you have the clearance for the bigger disk.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Canuk said:
Thanks a lot guys. I was almost feeling embarassed asking the question. (In part admiting that I actually owned a 8" Crafstman TA. It was fun to work with, way back then.....but not too accurate.)Wayne

Wow, Wayne rereading your post just gave me a great idea. I still have my old 10" Delta (Lowe's version) TS with a CI top out in the shop gathering dust that would work perfectly as a disk sander with the added features of a tilting arbor, fence and a miter gauge slot. What can I say other than.....your BRILLIANT!:icon_thum

Thanks,
D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang and I gave my old POS TS away to some half blind kid in middle TN. Actually I though about that idea but it took up too much space in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS