Tablesaw Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
My CFO has authorized the purchase of a new tablesaw for my birthday. I have read many threads about the features of a number of different tablesaws. I have looked at the Rigid 3650 and have looked at the Delta Contractor Saw at Lowe's with the variety of fence choices. Either will serve well, but I would really like to talk with a knowledgeable person at a woodworking equipment supply store so that I can not only look at and touch the machines, but get some informed advice about what I really need. Since I live in the Fayetteville area, I know that I will have to travel to the Triangle - Triad areas to visit these stores. Where would you folks suggest that I go, and whom should I see?

I am looking to spend $600 - $800 (+ or -). The Delta with the Unifence at Lowes looks like a good buy at about $700 (plus 12 months same as cash), but I need some good advice and guidance. My shop is small (12' X 24') so the TS is going to be the workhorse for the shop, therefore I want to get it as right as I can afford the first time.

Thanks for any advice.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Rick, I would seriously look at the Dewalt 746 hybrid saw. You can get the base saw in your price range and maybe add the longer rails and sliding table later. The standard fence is great and the whole saw was perfectly setup out of the box. It has some very good features that have impressed me over the two years I have owned it.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Both Woodcraft and Klingspor in Raleigh have given discounts to members here in the past. Tom, the manager at Woodcraft, is a regular poster here (Toolferone) and is knowledgable about saws. Paul is the manager at Klingspor.

George

I'll add that though many people like the Ridgid, to me the drawback is the fence which locks front and rear so you have to make sure that it is straight when you lock it down. I prefer the Beis (or Beis clone) T-Square style fence but many like the Unifence for it adaptability (high or low, sliding face, etc).

George

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I would have to agree with DavidF. I have the DeWalt too. That being said, the Delta and the Ridgid are also terrific tools.

As far as talking to someone in a woodworking shop, there is none better (IMHO) than our own toolferone (Tom) who is manager of hthe Woodcraft store on Glenwood Ave (a.k.a., Rt 70) in Raleigh.

In the generic sense, I'd look at stability and accuracy first... along with power of motor. I'd look at features later... they can be added later so as to be kinder and gentler to the budget.

Ray

woodguy1975

New User
John
Another good thought is keep your eyes out for a used cabinet saw. I'd bet you can find a used unisaw in the price range.

You'll find yourself wanting a cabinetsaw if you go with a contractor's saw.

John

J

jeff...

My votes for POWERMATIC. No I don't work for POWERMATIC, I just own one.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll throw my vote in for Grizzly, good saws at a good price. Pick it up at the freight terminal, on your schedule and avoid any handling problems.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I concur with DaveO -- I've got a Grizzly G1023SLX and love it (it is a 10" cabinet with long rails -- a little over your price, but a superb performer). Look hard at their others in this series closer to your budget - e.g., the G1023SL (by the way, I'd recommend a left tilt saw for safety.)

HTH - Rob

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
if charlotte is not too far for you to drive...check out leneave supply..they import their own line, northstate, they are very knowledgeable and reasonably priced....i have three of their pieces and am very happy with them

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check for a used Delta contractor's saw. Currently on the board both at Woodcraft and Klingspor's is a "tricked out Delta contractor's saw for $400. It has been there for a while, so it may be sold. Give Tom a call at work and have him look it up for you. I am amazed at how many hobbiest woodworkers think that they absolutely must have a cabinet saw. It's kinda like watching these surburan cowboys riding around in their F-250 dually pick-ups. What's the purpose, other than to say "I can afford this".:roll:

Travis

New User
Travis
Be very careful before you head down this path. I started out looking at a contractor saw last year and so far have a cabinet saw, planer, cyclone dust collector, band saw and jointer with a list of other tools that I want that is at least as long. The little lady told me that a wood worker catalog came in today and she felt like throwing it away. (Hey, I do not throw away her Victoria Secret Catalogs.) But I digress, I went with the Grizzly 3hp cabinet saw. It works great but after using a small craftsman contractor saw for years any cabinet saw would be better.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Be very careful before you head down this path. I started out looking at a contractor saw last year and so far have a cabinet saw, planer, cyclone dust collector, band saw and jointer with a list of other tools that I want that is at least as long. The little lady told me that a wood worker catalog came in today and she felt like throwing it away. (Hey, I do not throw away her Victoria Secret Catalogs.) But I digress, I went with the Grizzly 3hp cabinet saw. It works great but after using a small craftsman contractor saw for years any cabinet saw would be better.
I agree that anything is better than a table top saw. I used my Craftsman contractor's saw for over twenty years in a professional setting. I had rebuilt an old Delta contractor saw that I just replaced the Craftsman with. There is no comparison of the two.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Rick,
I'd say the bottom line is - buy as much saw as you can afford.
You can ask everyone here the same question that you started off with and get a different answer from everyone. The only person that needs to be happy with the saw is YOU! There are people around that swear by their Ryobi BT3XXX series saws and personally, after using one, I don't think they'd make an appropriate boat anchor. I respect their opinions and chalk it up to 'different strokes for different folks'.
IMHO, the biggest factors (other than obviously cost) are:
Fence - long, stable, accurate
Power - I wouldn't settle for less than 3hp if you plan on using a dado blade
Table size - no such thing as too big
Mass - heavier is better (my biggest complaint with the Ryobi I mentioned above after tipping one over ripping a sheet of plywood)
Availability of accessories - my friend bought a $150 craftsman saw and is sorely disappointed that he can't find anything that works with it (zero clearance inserts, etc)
Other things like mobility may be considerations for folks with smaller shops.
Also, someone once told me not to think of a saw as a finished product when you buy it, but more as a saw kit. It's not going to be perfect out of the box. You're going to have to spend some time fine tuning and refining it. That being said, a used saw may be a little less so if it's been properly cared for.
I tend to agree with Woodguy's comments above about finding a used cabinet saw. There are some good deals to be had out there. It worked for me (stealth gloat :lol: ).
Personally, with the price range you quoted, I'd stick with Delta, Dewalt (hybrid), Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic or maybe one of the newer higher end Craftsmans (even though I don't think they're as much saw for the money unless on sale). They all make quality products. Just look at each and balance their faults/strengths/price based on what you want and what you think you can live with. I think that you're already doing the right thing in asking for opinions of folks who already own specific models. Heck, once you decide, ask someone who's already got the saw if you can come test-drive it!
Best of luck to you!

DavidF

New User
David
Good points Chris. Heck, if I knew where Autryville was I would invite Rick over for a test run of the dewalt.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
The type of woodworking you want to do is also a consideration in your tablesaw purchase. If you are going to be doing mostly decorative boxes or smaller projects, one of the smaller hp saws mentioned above will be fine. If you are going to be ripping 8/4 lumber for your projects, I would agree with the Grizzly 3 hp saw or a used unisaw. It is frustrating trying to rip the thicker lumber with an underpowered saw. I think someone mentioned buy as much saw as you can. Words of wisdom if the wood working bug has really bit.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Currently one of our members has a Delta contractor saw for sale. It has Uni fence. Look in for sale forum. Local(Raleigh) craigslist (craiglist.org) has a Delta and a Grizzly for sale. Look in the tools section. Price isn't stated on Delta though. Bargins can be had on used contractor saws. In my shop, I use the Delta contractor saw most everyday. The Uni is still being used as a resting place for 12" DeWalt sliding miter that my kids and my wife's ex-husband gave me for Christmas a few years back. One day maybe I will have time to work on my shop, and not be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS