Tablesaw quit working

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I had an unhappy start to my morning. My tablesaw won't work. It's a Craftsman older model 10" contractor tablesaw. I turned it on and the motor whined but the blade didn't turn. I unplugged it and cleaned it out with the shopvac and airhose. The blade will move freely when turned. I raised it and lowered it and it turns freely. I've unplugged everything and plugged the saw directly into the outlet in case it was just a voltage issue and the same thing happens. It just whines. Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening? My guess is the motor is shot. It worked fine Wednesday night. Of course it happened in the middle of me making a table for the living room. :BangHead:

Paul

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I checked the pulleys, released the tension on the belt and tried it, and retensioned the belt but it's all the same, nothing. I thought about the capacitor. Can I test the capacitor? I'll research that and pull out the multimeter.

Thanks,

Paul

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I checked the pulleys, released the tension on the belt and tried it, and retensioned the belt but it's all the same, nothing. I thought about the capacitor. Can I test the capacitor? I'll research that and pull out the multimeter.

Thanks,

Paul
Yes, capacitors can be tested, if your multimeter has the function. BUT, you must remove the capacitor from the circuit. The easiest way to to test a start or run capacitor is just simply to replace it.:lol:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Replacement (test) cap. doesn't have to be same value. Your old one will give you a reference as to value, but you can substitute almost any one off another motor. Usually there is either oil leaking from cap., or the end is blackened and smells terrible. The start switch could have sawdust in between the contacts. You would have to open up motor to get to start switch. When I first taught school we had a Sears radial saw that had this problem. A couple of the kids took it apart so many times, that they could have it back up in less than five minutes. On a radial saw, you didn't have to remove cradle though.

M

McRabbet

I assume you have checked that there is not a thermal overload breaker on the end of the motor that needs to be reset. I cannot say DAMHIKT, but I have known it happen to others. Usually just takes a simple push on the red button in the power off position to reset it. Just thought I'd check....

Rob

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
It's alive, it's alive. Thank you all for the guidance you have given in figuring out the problem. I switched the capacitor with another one and got the same thing, it just whined. I ended up taken the motor off the saw and disassembled it. Cleaned it out real good, bench tested it and it worked. :eusa_danc Got the saw all assembled again and did a couple of test cuts and it did just fine. Thanks again for all of the help.

Paul

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I also find that when you have to take something apart and put it back together you learn more about the tools you are using. Glad you got it back together and running and didn't have to put tablesaw on your Santa list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors