Tablesaw question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a Ridgid TS2412 tablesaw. I need to tilt the blade to 45 degrees and can only get it to move maybe 5 degree if that much. I am cutting legs for a nightstand. I have used this tablesaw for two other pieces of furniture so I know it was set up properly before. I have unlocked the tilt so I know where that is. I thought maybe there was dust on the threads but I have cleaned it off and even sprayed the threads but still can't get it to move. Any suggestions? It is as if there is something there blocking it.:BangHead:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sorry to hear about that Lorraine. I don't have that saw and am not familiar with it but have you tilted it before? Is the blade extended or below the table when you're trying to tilt it? I know with my table saws, sometimes I really have to push hard to get it to tilt. :swoon:

Glennbear

Glenn
With the throat plate and blade removed and a flashlight take a good look around. When used at 90 degrees for extended periods of time it is amazing how much gunk can accumulate on the pieces that need to move/slide/tilt. My old contractor saw gave me the same grief until I cleaned every thing up. Besides the threads there are some other things that have to move freely in order to tilt. I wish you luck !!!! :wsmile:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
:eusa_thinTrent, yes I have used the tilt before without a problem but it has been a couple of years. I called the company and they had two thoughts, one being that the nut that the threaded bar runs through could be damaged. I would say not likely because it has just been sitting there. Second he throught that possibly the bolts that hold the unit to the table could have worked lose and when I try to engage it, it binds and prevents it from moving smoothly, that I might could buy. There is a service center about 45 minutes from me but I have a machanic who lives near me that I wish to contact before loading it up. He is out of town at the moment. I am heading back to the shop to put in the the normal position and continue with my project with something that I can do. Thanks for the throughts. Tablesaw and other large tools are not something most women wish to tackle. We do have to find things that the men can do for us.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Glen, I did the best I could to clean it up but it isn't easy to get to. What else can you think of that would need cleaning?

Glennbear

Glenn
Not having first hand knowledge of this particular saw it is difficult to diagnose long distance. There should be some half -moon shaped brackets (trunions ?) that the arbor assembly has to move on when you tilt, the whole shebang I believe has to slide on them. Wish I could be more help. :icon_scra

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I understand Glen, that there is a nut that the spindle goes through. I can see where it enters and where it comes out. I think at this point I will try to force the wheel to get past the spot in the thread. I know I must not use grease, but wd40 evaporates so I could use that and try to push through the tough spot.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Some thoughts:

Will it tilt if you run the blade all the way down (or vice versa?) If so, I would look for a chunk of cutoff that got caught somewhere underneath.

This one is not meant to be insulting, but is based on my personal experience when setting a bevel angle after months of not needing one: Did you remove the ZCI before tilting (if you are using a ZCI)?

I do not recall if the 2412 has a belt driven motor. If so, make sure the motor is not hitting any obstructions, like an outfeed table leg, etc, especially if you have added something like this since last tilting the blade. (Another item from my "been there-done that" files)

Go

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
No insult taken, I had everything set up properly, I found I just had to presist and keep cleaning and it finally moved. It had just been sitting there so long and needed a little extra tug. Thanks everyone for the help. BTW, the world lost a good woodworker to a heart attack last week. He is a member here but didn't visit often if at all. Larry Vincent of Littleton, NC. He was my mentor and always at hand when I needed him. He will be greatly missed. Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors