Tablesaw Question ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boilermaker

New User
Scott
My workshop consists of a one car garage, so space is at a premium. My questions is, how close should my table saw get to the garage door. It's a Delta combination saw with a cast iron top. I'm worried that if I put the saw too closely to the door the top might start to rust. I'd really like to put it closely to the garage door so i can build an extension table, but I can't do that unless I move the saw closer to the door. If this isn't an optimal placement, is there a moisture resistant cover I can put over the saw when i'm not using it to prevent rust?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scott, I moved your thread to the Power Tools forum as it is most appropriate there.
I don't really think that the ambient humidity of your [STRIKE]garage[/STRIKE] shop is going to vary that much from the front to the back. So I don't think you should have much concern about greater rust potential being closer to the door. My shop is also a garage that has three walls below grade. In the summer I will run a dehumidifier to help dry the air, and I keep a good coating of paste wax on my cast iron surfaces, and I haven't had any problem with rust.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't think it matters a lot how close or how far the saw is from the garage door. Humidity tends to spread. If it is going to rust close to the door, it will rust away from the door. Ventilation helps with keeping the moisture down. Also, weatherstripping along the bottom of the garage door will help keep things sealed against rainwater (think flash flood).

Not sure if there is even such as thing as a moisture resistant cover. Either it resists water, in which case moisture will end up on your saw, or it will absorb it - which protects the saw, until the cover gets saturated.

The best protection is something like Boeshield on all the unpainted surfaces, topped off with a couple of coats of paste wax. There are other products as well, they all seem to work.

Bas.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Scott,
Putting it close to the door probably wouldn't be a problem if you keep the door closed. Keep the top waxed with paste wax or topcote. The main thing is use the saw! It's hard for rust to form if you use it alot.:icon_thum
Rob

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Mine (full cast iron top and extensions) sits about 1 to 3 foot from my garage door. I originally had it covered with a plastic sheet, but condensation seemed to form under it and caused problems even with a wax coat, not to mention my sweat in the summer. I switched to an old blanket, and that actually helped. Then I tried wiping the top with penetrol (paint flow additive available at Lowes), waxing it after the penetrol dried, and have had no further problems. I reapply the penetrol to the center section around the blade when I notice it starting to wear off (looks like a very thin film of clear lacquer). Been using it now for about a year and am happy with the results.
Have heard Boshield T9 also works well but have not tried it on a table saw. I used it a lot on boat electronics (including the outboard motor) when I lived on the Gulf coast, and was happy with the corrosion prevention.

Hope this helps

Go

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
The cast iron will rust fast if it is clean. The wax coating is a good way to go. I have a 6" jointer outside under the sunroom. I keep a tarp over it. A little rust showed up in the summer but an oil type rust preventer took care of that. A small tarp that just fit over the cast iron might keep your mind at ease. Wax would be my first choice because the oil/grease types stains the wood.

nelsone

New User
Ed
My band saw lives right next to the garage door and I haven't had rust problems. Put some paste wax on it and you"ll be fine, plus you get the bonus of wood sliding easier over the surface!

lottathought

New User
Michael
I also have my tablesaw in the garage.
My cast iron top still looks almost new after about a year.

I put a good coat of Bosheild T9 and then I reguarly put a coat of carnuba wax for wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS