Tablesaw extension table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am going to make a new extension table for my tablesaw. The one I have on it is 15 years old. It is a piece of melamine, isn't quite long enough, and is pretty much worn out. For the new one, I am going to put formica on it, but I plan on going cheap and using what I have. Question is, would you put black or a lighter color like an off white? I have both, and am not sure which would be better or if it even matters.

Monty

New User
Monty
I would choose a lighter color for worksurfaces whenever I could, just to keep the shop as bright as possible.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I second what Monty said. Plus if you like to give the impression that you keep a clean shop, the black will show dust more than the lighter material.:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'd vote for Peach if you got it :lol: :lol: :lol:

But off-white wouldn't look so silly :-D

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, I do have some peach and some pink left over from when I helped a guy do some bathroom vanities. I would think not.

I wondered about the black making it look dirtier. Off white it is.

M

McRabbet

I would generally agree with others that white is best, but off-white to beige would work well, too. The key reason, I believe is that you can see anything foreign that is on the table; such items would be harder to see with a darker color. I have a tempered hardboard surface on my outfeed table and it is tolerable, too, but a piece of wood on it "blends" in more than if it was white. My extension table is white.

Rob

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
White would be my first choice. But with the NC State Surplus Agency selling complete desks for about $5.00, somehow, walnut wouldn't look that bad. Most tops are 30" X 60" X 1 1/8" thick. How can one even think about building a top for this price? Now I do have some green or red laminate in my inventory. Remember to check Lowes/ HD for damaged sheets at reduced prices.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Just to be a wise-cracker I'd say that a bright chartruse green would be nice. The British have a knack for creating the most unnatural shades of green, ask them. Or you could keep it closer to home and go with a Buick Electra Metalic Purple. That would REALLY brighten up the shop.

However, to be serious, I like to mark on my tables whenever the need arises. I'd vote for white.

Sully

New User
jay
Actually, I'd vote for an off-white. Not a dark, but definitely not pure white. I think it is a little too bright, but then again I have sensitive eyeballs.

How 'bout with some racing stripes?

DavidF

New User
David
Just to be a wise-cracker I'd say that a bright chartruse green would be nice. The British have a knack for creating the most unnatural shades of green, ask them. Or you could keep it closer to home and go with a Buick Electra Metalic Purple. That would REALLY brighten up the shop.

However, to be serious, I like to mark on my tables whenever the need arises. I'd vote for white.

Oy! What are you trying to say??:lol: How about "British Racing Green"? Most people only see that from the back though:lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Now, I did just paint my solid core door I use as a bench a fine Hunter Green. I had a gallon of porch floor paint that was waiting to be used, and I figured, why not. It should be a superb color to sit on and have a cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS