Tablesaw - adjustment and tuning

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I have an older Powermatic 66 Table saw. It's always been very accurate and has never needed too much for maintenance or tuning. I just ran into something that has me puzzled and not sure if it is indicative of a problem or not.

I was tilting the blade on the saw last week for a 45* cut. When I do this, I use an electric block digital measuring gauge to set the blade angle rather than the gauge on the saw. I usually raise the blade to height, tilt the blade to the required angle with the gauge attached to the blade and then make my cut . Since I've recently made a zero clearance TS insert for 45* cuts, this time I set the angle then started to lower the blade below the surface when I noticed the angle of the blade was changing as I lowered the blade? If I set the angle to 90* I can lower and raise the blade without the angle changing but when it is at 45*, there is definitely a change.

Is this normal? Once the blade angle is set to an angle other than 90*, should the height adjustment work without changing the angle of cut? Anyone know if this is normal or indicates I have something out of whack?

Let me know, thanks in advance.

Rick

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Rick,

Is it possible the blade angle changed because the blade was hitting the zero clearance insert? I don't think the saw should change the angle but if the blade hits the insert, the angle could change.

Jim

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Rick,

Is it possible the blade angle changed because the blade was hitting the zero clearance insert? I don't think the saw should change the angle but if the blade hits the insert, the angle could change.

Jim
Hey Jim - the angle was changing as I lowered the blade. There was no insert in the saw at all.

mpeele

michael
User
I think you are saying your angle gauge reading was changing. PM 66 and Delta table saws blade hight adjustments moves center of blade in an arc. This is because trunnion is fixed at either front or rear of saw. When height is lowered center of blade moves toward pivot point. This movement cause angle gauge angle to change. Nothing is wrong with saw or angle gauge.

mpeele

michael
User
I have an accelerometer on my table saw I used to calculate blade height gauge. Accelerometer measure that angle change to calculate blade height.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nothing is wrong with saw or angle gauge.

So why is the angle apparently changing on the Wixy gauge? Should a test cut with the new 45 degree zero clearance insert still measure 45 degrees regardless of what the Wixy gauge says?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the prognosis is that the gage is correct, the angle changes with height changes and that is inherent with the design of this saw.
Conclusion is check angle after height is changed/set.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am not familiar with the height adjustment on the Powermatic 66, so I should keep my mouth shut... but...

I am going to guess, that the height adjustment is not "in-line" with the blade. (it is off-set) and the difference of the angle from the plane of the height adjustment to the plane of the blade is the reason for the difference... My guess is that they are parallel when the blade is vertical or 90 degrees...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I suspect a cracked trunnion or worn bearing. Hard to tell this far away, but Ernie had a similar problem years ago.
Try jerking on the arbor (blade off!) and see if there's any motion.

mpeele

michael
User
So why is the angle apparently changing on the Wixy gauge? Should a test cut with the new 45 degree zero clearance insert still measure 45 degrees regardless of what the Wixy gauge says?
Short answer is probably a qualified yes. How much did angle change? If it's less than a degree then it just the gauge.
Try this:
Raise blade to max and 90 degree and put gauge on it.
Tilt blade to 45 degree.
Lower blade as much a possible. On my saw if you lower it to much gauge will hit table and move.
You will notice position of gauge changed as did angle.
If you trunnion pivot is at front of saw pull blade towards front and gauge should go back to 45 degrees.
If you trunnion pivot is a rear of saw push blade towards rear and gauge should go back to 45 degrees.
If gauge does not go back to 45 degrees then something is broke and it's not gauge motion messing with its internal accelerometer.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
If my memory serves, Fine Woodworking # 265 Tools & Shops 2018 has the only table saw tune-up article (that I've seen) that addresses this blade tilt issue.

RJC58

Bob
Senior User
Not an expert, but is your table level? Is there a dip toward one or more of the corners? Do the corners need shimming?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Using a Wixey gauge?. Never seen one of these but curious, If it attaches on to the blade, what is it measuring from? true horizontal? :oops::rolleyes:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS