Table top to Apron

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbvilla

New User
Dawn
Well as most everyone knows by now, I am new to woodworking. I am on my third project and it is in the finishing stages. My fourth project will be another farmhouse table... (I'll keep making these until I get one just the way I want it ...lol) I got great advice yesterday about securing the apron to the legs. Now the question is how to I secure the top to the apron. I have used "L brackets" which have worked fine on the other two but I assume farmhouse tables were not done originally with these. That would be too easy. Some more great advice would be appreciated........Dawn

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Dawn,
The big thing to keep in mind is that a big slab of wood like a dining table top has a lot of expansion/contraction over the seasons and with humidity. Note that this expansion/contraction is only across the grain, not with the length. You have to attach the top to the aprons using a method that will allow the top to move yet remain secure to the base assembly. I cut a groove in the aprons maybe down a heavy 1/4" from the top edge about 1/4" deep. Cut blocks out of scraps and make a "finger on the blocks to fir the groove. Drill a "wallowed out" hole in the blocks for your screws to go through them into the top. Turn the top upside down, position the base, put the blocks in the grooves and screw them down to the top The top can "come & go" with the humidity yet be secure to the apron/leg Assembly. "Z" shaped clips are also available at various store that serve the same purpose as the blocks.
My Best
Randy O

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dawn, take a look at this link from Fine Woodworking. It discusses wood movement and shows you a few techniques you can use to attach table tops. It also gives you some photos to help clarify the technique Ozzie described above.

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Ozzie-X has it. That is the best way to go unless you have already assembled apron to leg, then it's more difficult to route the groove in the apron - not impossible, just more difficult.

dbvilla

New User
Dawn
Thanks to all for the help.... Project 3 was already assembled when I joined the group.. but there is a 4th one brewing. I will keep building these blessed things until I get one right. Mind you the two I have built before are quite sturdy and functional, but I would just like to build one RIGHT. So in the mean time does anyone need a farmhouse table or six? I have a feeling this may take awhile. :-D

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
I like the the button approach as well. There are many variations on this theme. If you don't want to put the groove on the inside of the apron, you could glue a block on instead remembering to "waller" (the correct redneck pronunciation of wallow Ozzie-x :-D) out your screw hole with the "wallered" axis of the hole oriented to accomodate the cross grained movement of the top.

DavidF

New User
David
If you size the tongue on the button correctly versus the slot depth there is no need to "Waller" out the hole. The tongue will just slide into and out of the groove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS