Table saw time

striker

New User
Stephen
So I took a sabbatical for a few years. Polite way of saying WWrking starting feeling like work and I walked away. Well, I got the hankering again to give it whirl. Sold most of my big equipment so looking for a table saw once again. I've had El crappo saws on up to PM66 and Sawstop in the past. I'm not sure if I want to spring for another Sawstop or look at other more reasonably priced saws. So looking for 2 hp +/- ( don't need 3,4 or 5) , 36 in table (don't do sheet goods) , and a good fence. Considering a router table inclusion to cut down on overall room space. So considering I've been out of the game for awhile I'm wondering what you folks thought.

My thoughts thus far.

el cheapo - I'll do without before buying junk
Powermatic - OK but I feel you paying some for yellow paint. maybe others better value
Sawstop - great saw. Do I really need it?
Harvey- never heard of it before but sounds/looks interesting.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good morning Stephen,

Just went through that search. I finally decided on the Grizzly G1023RLW. I decided after receiving the saw that I should have gotten the mobile base (T28000) ... but it will be here next week.

I'm happy to discuss my initial thoughts on the saw (it's still in the garage and I need to move it around to the backyard basement entry).

Regards,

Rick

spartyon8

Peter
User
I just put in an order for the Harvey Alpha 4hp model earlier this week. I am quite impressed with what I have seen in my research so I took the plunge. Here is a $10off link if you want to use it:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes Agreed, look at the Grizzly line, the 1023 , 690, and 651 all are excellent. Harvey has some really awesome saws, but in inquiring about them, they are a manufacturer that builds the Laguna and some others, but I did not have a good experience with their customer service (way to slow to respond). The Saw I used to test was excellent though, I think they are just trying to get their infrastructure sorted.

Last edited:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been looking hard at Laguna, but haven’t pulled the trigger

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I purchased the Grizzly 1023 3hp back in 2004, and 17 years later it has never missed a beat. I have processed 1000's of bf through mine, the fence is true and ruler on the fence cuts extremely accurate to dimensions. The rip cuts are all joint line quality.

For what I paid new, it was great value and I really don't need anything more from a table saw. Not sure if I am missing anything from the more expensive saws, because this one does everything well.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The NC Furniture School can help you with a Harvey purchase. IIRC, Stuart has two Harvey tablesaws, one a slider.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I agree with Willemjm: I have a Grizzly G1023SLX 10" cabinet saw as well -- even bought it the same year he did and it has been very accurate, totally reliable and with plenty of power (3 HP). I got the long rails to handle full sheets of plywood but quickly realized that handling full sheets was a PITA so I rarely use its full capability. But it cuts true (Forrest WWII blade for general cutting and both Freud and Leitz blades for ripping). Still a good saw, but newer models now have a riving knife built-in for added safety.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Due to health I am getting out of woodworking. My family is now using some of my shop for storage. I have a PM64B (I think) circa 2001, that I am going to sell. I have a lot of accessories (homemade and purchased). It has been a good saw and holds setting well. I have all the manuals etc. I will be looking for $800. I am a ways from Wilmington, about 3-4 hours. You are welcome to drive up and see it. If you buy you will have to bring your own help for loading.

I also have the normal tools that will be up for sale. Griz 6" jointer, DW 733 planer, homemade router table with a Hitachi M12V router, a DW router, Griz bandsaw that I have never figured out how to get a good adjustment on, Harbor Freight wood lathe (34706) with a lot of accessories ( 4-jaw chuck, tools, a clone Wolverine sharpening system on a woodcraft slow-speed grinder, lots of pen making stuff etc), a 6" belt sander, a 1" belt sander, a Ridgid oscillating belt/drum sander, a Worksharp sharpener almost never used, and lots of other stuff.

Last edited:

striker

New User
Stephen
Well, first Merry Christmas everyone.
Thank everyone for your responses. Not sure which direction I'll go yet but your comments are helpful. Adding to the mix It appears to be a lot of stock issues nowadays but I'll take the plunge on something shortly.

Padizzledonk

New User
Pat
So I took a sabbatical for a few years. Polite way of saying WWrking starting feeling like work and I walked away. Well, I got the hankering again to give it whirl. Sold most of my big equipment so looking for a table saw once again. I've had El crappo saws on up to PM66 and Sawstop in the past. I'm not sure if I want to spring for another Sawstop or look at other more reasonably priced saws. So looking for 2 hp +/- ( don't need 3,4 or 5) , 36 in table (don't do sheet goods) , and a good fence. Considering a router table inclusion to cut down on overall room space. So considering I've been out of the game for awhile I'm wondering what you folks thought.

My thoughts thus far.

el cheapo - I'll do without before buying junk
Powermatic - OK but I feel you paying some for yellow paint. maybe others better value
Sawstop - great saw. Do I really need it?
Harvey- never heard of it before but sounds/looks interesting.

You can also go the used industrial auction route via bidspotter or some other site to hop back in. I snapped up a Powermatic 68, 12" 5HP saw for about a 150 bucks a few months ago. Needed about 15 bucks in repair parts and a new fence (though the one that was on it was not the greatest it was serviceable)

Just a thought...got a 12" jointer, a 20" planer, a nice solid 60s steel old ass bandsaw and tablesaw for less than the cost of a new commercial grade sawstop

striker

New User
Stephen
You can also go the used industrial auction route via bidspotter or some other site to hop back in. I snapped up a Powermatic 68, 12" 5HP saw for about a 150 bucks a few months ago. Needed about 15 bucks in repair parts and a new fence (though the one that was on it was not the greatest it was serviceable)

Just a thought...got a 12" jointer, a 20" planer, a nice solid 60s steel old ass bandsaw and tablesaw for less than the cost of a new commercial grade sawstop
Yeah, I'm familiar with Bidspotter and have tried it a few times. seamed every hot deal I found, 400 other people found it as well. Really have to stay with it for it to work out I guess.

Padizzledonk

New User
Pat
Yeah, I'm familiar with Bidspotter and have tried it a few times. seamed every hot deal I found, 400 other people found it as well. Really have to stay with it for it to work out I guess.
Yeah, its definitely a "be patient and lurk til it works" kind of thing.

It took me a long time to find those 4 essential tools that were close enough for me to pick up and that I snagged for a reasonable price...def hit or miss

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Also have the 1023SL......very accurate and never short on power.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS