Table saw tapering - either way round

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I can't think of a preference my self, but is there a right and wrong way or a preference to feeding a tapering jig into a TS so that the the thin end or the thick end gets cut first. I know the hinged aluminium taper jigs cut thick end first, but is there any reason not to do it the other way round? Just thinking before I make a jig for the table legs

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
David.

I use Joe's tapering jig/sled and prefer to feed the thick end first. I have found that when I feed the thin end first, I tend to get more burning. (It could be the TK blade I use and maybe a little more flex until I get to a full kerf cut?:dontknow: The only woods I have tapered are cherry, red oak and pine.)

I also bought one of those aluminum tapering jigs and only used it once! Scared the heck out of me, so it now resides hung on the shop wall for decoration!:gar-La;

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I do thick first as well, but I got my education and jig in the same place as Wayne :) I'm not sure if it really matters though, but it seems more natural to cut the thick end first.

There might be a safety consideration here. If you cut the thin end first you probably don't run the risk of the cutoff getting trapped between the blade and insert as much. But, if you use a ZCI, then it doesn't really matter.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It seems more proper to start the cut at closer to 90° rather than almost parallel.

So, I think you are saying at the thick end of the off cut.

DavidF

New User
David
It seems more proper to start the cut at closer to 90° rather than almost parallel.

So, I think you are saying at the thick end of the off cut.

Which I assume would mean starting with the thin of the leg nearer the saw blade?
My thoughts were to start with the thick end of the leg being cut first and thought that I couldn't think of a good reason to do it that way!!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I think he means the blade 90° to the wood it's about to cut instead of coming up almost parallel to the cut you're wanting to make doing the thin end first.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I do thick end first when possible because it means the trailing end is "locked in" to the side fence and end stop on my jig. When doing the thin end first, the drag from pushing into the blade has a tendency to try to pull the work out of the jig.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS