Table Saw Steel City 35905G vs Grizzly G0690

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbydsc

New User
Robert
Hello folks.

I am new member as of an hour ago. what a great site ya'll have here. I am getting ready to make a big purchase (for me anyway). I've been using a Ridgid 10" Contractors saw for about 6 years now. It's served it's purpose, but I am ready for an upgrade.

I've been studying both the Grizzly G0690 and the Steel City 35905G. I'm very impressed with the granite top on the SC machine. Yet, I've read a tremendous amount of reviews from happy Grizzly owners.

Anybody care to comment?

Thanks,

bobbydsc :cool:

M

McRabbet

I would not hesitate to buy the Grizzly G0690. I have a Grizzly G1023SLX cabinet saw and it has been an absolute gem for more than five years. There are key features of the newer Grizzly that are worth strong attention on your part. 1) the motor is a Leeson -- it is US made (and a very good company). The riving knife is an excellent asset. The fence is well made and similar to the one on my saw which has remained very accurate for as long as I have had the saw. Did I mention Free Shipping? It is a rock solid saw without the rock.

Just be sure to invest in a good blade (I have a Forrest Woodworker II) and a good dado set (I recommend a Freud SD508 ).

By the way -- welcome to the website -- I suggest you start a new thread in the Who We Are Forum and introduce yourself to the membership. We'd love to hear more about you and your woodworking passion.

Trog777

New User
Trog
On the other hand, now this is just my opinion, but I WOULD hesitate to purchase anything from the Steel City line just now. They seem to make make good stuff and their product owners as a whole seem to be pleased with their purchases, but I've read several posts on other forums that the company itself is going through some tribulations. I asked at Woodcraft last week if they had heard of any issues since I had read the posts. They said (after a pause to obviously think about the wording of his reply) "I wouldn't be surprised to see them purchased by another company." I have no idea what that means and of course this is just one person who my or may not be basing his answer off rumor, or flat out guessing. But that, along with the posts I've read on other forums would make me hesitant to purchase one of their products. Not because their is anything wrong with them, just that a purchase of this sort is also a commitment of support from the company in the future. I hope that it is all bull, as the more choices and competition out there the better it is for us.

As far as the two machines themselves, I have no opinion or experience with either, nor do I own any equipment from either company.

bobbydsc

New User
Robert
Thank you McRabbet and TROG777 for the great advice. It's my understanding that Steel City is only a 2-3 year old company. Where as Grizzly has been around forever. I think I feel more comfortable knowing that the manufacturer is going to still be around if I need parts, warranty concerns etc. I think I'm getting caught up in the granite table with Steel City.
I respect your advice, I think I'll be making a call to Grizzly very soon.

Thanks again,

Bob D

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I had a chance to see the Grizzly G0690 a few months ago in the Muncy showroom. Great looking saw, very solid, I don't think you can do better in terms of value. That's not to say the SC isn't a good saw of course.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
u cant buy anything today without the possibility of it being bought out/name change tomorrow! plus it be same saw/parts, but different name! ive seen alot of name products that been around for decades fold in this economy! so don.t base ur decision on that foolish concept in 2009!!! just my 2 cents!:rotflm:

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Grizzly G0690 is a great saw

After aggravating over which saw to get, I purchased the Grizzly this last summer and very pleased with it. The riving knife is a nice feature. The cast iron can take the beating it gets from me and my family. I heard too many reports of chipped corners for the granite tops, to give it serious consideration.

bobbydsc

New User
Robert
Thanks Guy.

I think I mad my mind up when I went to the local Woodcrafters and asked to see the Steel City table saw they had advertised online. They said they've had product back ordered since February. He said they've been having trouble for awhile. Something about a merger.

Anyway, glad you like your Grizzly. I'll be heading there too.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS