Table Saw mobile base with more clearance?

Echd

C
User
Hello,

I recently purchased a sawstop PCS with the 52" table. I generally keep my larger tools in my shop, but move them into my garage for actual use due to having a lot of reloading equipment in the shop that doesnt play nice with dust. This requires moving over about 10 feet of fairly compact gravel and from one concrete pad to another between the two buildings.

Once in the garage, space is not really at a premium, so mobility of the saw at that point isnt all that important to me.

I did not order the sawstop integrated bases as neither seem to get the clearance I would need to get across the terrain comfortably. Could anyone recommend a base that gets just a tiny bit more clearance than the sawstop models? It looks like Rockler may have a model that will do what I need, but hopefully someone else has had a similar experience. I know these are hefty saws but certainly I'm not the only person who doesn't want to permanently evict their cars from the garage and needs to store them elsewhere when not in use.

Thanks!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Have you considered putting some plywood down to roll your saw over the gravel? If you only have 10' it wouldn't take much plywood.

Roy G

Echd

C
User
That's a possibility, I was just concerned about making the "hop" onto a sheet of plywood or similar. I've read some people voice concerns that the sawstop bases cannot easily clear some thresholds or relief grooves in concrete shop floors.

On the other hand, at the current rate of things, a couple sheets of plywood will soon cost as much as an optioned out saw...

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
My first concern is the width of the wheels. The saw is so heavy it's going to press ordinary wheels so deeply into the gravel you will really struggle with getting the saw up over the edge of the concrete pads. If you find some wide wheels on lockable casters, just build your own base. Large diameter (5") wheels might solve the problem (they did for me to get a planer over a high door threshold), but I don't know how to test this theory in advance. The larger wheels will raise the saw table top, but that might be a good thing.

Plywood sheets seem to be a good workaround to the immediate problem. Just cut a 45 bevel on both ends to make it easier to roll the weight up onto the plywood.

PS: buy your plywood before hurricane season. You just think it's expensive now.

Echd

C
User
Good points. I am still awaiting delivery of the saw, but I'll try and reevaluate with some larger wheels when I get it. I considered building a platform that could integrate some harbor freight special wheels and be tilted and pushed with a dolly, but I'm not sure how nice that will play with the extension table. Once I have it in hand I think I will be able to form a better plan.

I could also just permanently evict at least one car from the garage... that's probably coming some day. Too much stuff!

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Cars in garages are overrated. Keep the beast in the garage and let the cars deal with the gravel. :)

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I agree with all of the above. I did discover this Grizzly “all terrain” base (4” casters, 1500 lb weight limit):
4x4 All-Terrain Mobile Base at Grizzly.com
I have no experience with this base, however. I think questioning the basic plan of placement and transport across rough terrain is the best option. Good luck and congrats on your new saw!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I bought a Grizzly heavy duty mobile base for my 15 in. Plane. The built in casters on the Powermatic DO NOT SWIVLE. Rendering them a PIA to use. Note: getting the old casters out is an up-hill clime. The new Grizzly base is a dream to use.,

Pop

Echd

C
User
That appears to be a contender. They even advertise it as doing what I want. I will keep it in mind.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS