Table saw issue with blade stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
While checking and tuning my table saw, G1023, I measured excessive difference in the flatness of ALL my blades. Freud glue line, Freud crosscut and Forrest WW II. While rotating each blade I measured a difference of 0.009" on every blade. Way too much of a coincidence. Had already checked arbor, arbor flange and miter slot and they were good. Had cleaned off all dust and buildup. So either all my blades were off or my washer or stabilizer were bad. After removing stabilizer, all blades were within 0.003. Not bad for +7 year old blades.

Couldn't believe my stabilizer, sometimes called a stiffener, could be that far off. Just one more thing to check when tuning up your saw.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting observations. Why were you using stabilizers in the first place? Something you noticed 7 years ago or it just sounded like a good idea from somewhere to reduce blade vibration and improve the cut quality?

JohnW

New User
John
Interesting observations. Why were you using stabilizers in the first place? Something you noticed 7 years ago or it just sounded like a good idea from somewhere to reduce blade vibration and improve the cut quality?

I had read that a stabilizer yields smother cuts by reducing vibration and noise. In theory is sounded logical to me. Being thicker and having a much greater surface area then the compression washer also seemed to be logical, But if its not a consistent thickness, it's no good. This was a cheaper unit about 3.5" dia with an "O" ring as the bearing face against the blade. It's entirely possible that the rubber ring wore unevenly. As I'm remembering, I got the stabilizer either real cheap or as a bonus free gift when I bought a dado set.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I had a blade that came with a stabilizer so I used it...and then used it with other blades as well, only to find that the blade it was designed to be used with cut ok, but others didn't. Then realized that the laser cutting in most blades today are their way of stabilizing the blade instead of adding something to it. I dumped my extra parts as well, and get really nice cuts. I was just about ready to swear off 'nice' blades for how poorly they worked before I figured the problem out.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​I have a General contractor's saw. It has a 2hp. motor. According to Freud a saw with less than 3hp. is an under powered saw. So I use thin kerf blades. Thin kerf blades flex hence stabilizers. I use 2 good Freud stabilizers on both sides of the blade. These are cast iron and run true. Improved my cuts with no problems. Just a look at what the difference between your measurements with & with out the stabilizers. The difference between .009 & .003 is .006 inches. A sheet of 80# copy paper is about .003 inches. So you only had a difference of 2 sheets of paper. I thank .009 falls quite nicely in the tolerances for wood working. You are not machining steel were .001 means something. Cut a piece of wood & come back in a day and I'll bet you can measure the expansion or shrinkage with a 12 inch rule. Just my 2 cents worth.

Pop
:dontknow:

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I have one made by Forrest. Seems to work well. Does tend to restrict depth/height of cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS