Table Saw -> Disk Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I've got a 1992 Craftsman direct drive tablesaw that I replaced with a real saw. I listed it on CraigsList and got no interest. It has a cast iron top, two cast iron webbed wings, a sheet metal cabinet and legs. Since the unit is direct drive, that means I have a threaded arbor shaft coming directly out of the motor.

I am toying with the idea of removing the wings and worthless fence supports, finding a machined disk that is 10" diameter with 5/8" centerbore, and attaching PSA sandpaper to the disk to make a stationary disk sander. The combination of the saw's tilting system and miter slot capability would allow sanding of compound miter cuts.

My research indicates that most sanding stations turn at 1725 rpm, whereas this motor turns 3450. That's a moderate concern. Since saw blades regularly spin at this speed, it doesn't seem there would be any safety concern with the metal spinning, and although flying sandpaper could hurt under the right circumstances, it is unlikely it would require breaking out the FAK out or bloodying up the 9 and 1 on the phone.

Since I am working on my "think before you post" admonition, I did some websearching and found this Freud component. This gives me a feeling of going in the right direction. Anybody know if this is available locally (Raleigh) at a BORG or WWS or WC? Toolferone?

Has anyone else ventured down this or a similar path before who can offer DAMHIKT or other advice?

Attachments

• saw2.gif
    saw2.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 155

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have not done that on a TS, but have seen it recommended as a great use for an old saw that isn't needed. I have used a sanding disk with a table set-up on the back side of my old lathe head stock, and it worked great. I don't think the speed is too much of a factor to worry about except for the aggressiveness of the sanding and the more likelyhood of burning while sanding. I think it is a great idea, and I will look forward to your reviews once you get it all set up. I have not seen a product like you pictured at the BORGS, WC or Klingspor, you might have to order it, but I bet Tom could get one in for you.
Dave:)

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Thanks, Gator.

Looks like WoodCraft is my friend.

I would spend $100 on mel-ah-whatever before I could cut a disk to my satisfaction, and then the 3/4" wouldn't fit in the narrow throatplate. That's a good idea for someone who has a dado insert and can cut a near-perfect circle.

One of these days I'm going to build a circle cutting jig for my bandsaw, but that's not near the top of the list.

I may, however, build up the saw/sander to the same height as my bandsaw to let the saw/sander table double as an outfeed for the bandsaw.

I'll let y'all know how this turns out. And, Dave, regarding burning, my thoughts are to use this as a "sneak-up" dimensioning tool rather than a finishing tool.

What a great group of ladies and gentlemen frequent here... Looking forward to seeing y'all in the cold mist Sunday.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Thanks, Gator.

Looks like WoodCraft is my friend.

I would spend $100 on mel-ah-whatever before I could cut a disk to my satisfaction, and then the 3/4" wouldn't fit in the narrow throatplate. That's a good idea for someone who has a dado insert and can cut a near-perfect circle.

One of these days I'm going to build a circle cutting jig for my bandsaw, but that's not near the top of the list.

I may, however, build up the saw/sander to the same height as my bandsaw to let the saw/sander table double as an outfeed for the bandsaw.

I'll let y'all know how this turns out. And, Dave, regarding burning, my thoughts are to use this as a "sneak-up" dimensioning tool rather than a finishing tool.

What a great group of ladies and gentlemen frequent here... Looking forward to seeing y'all in the cold mist Sunday.

If you want to cut one and try it before putting out the $$$, come on up again and we can cut one on my bandsaw, I have a home-brew circle cutting jig. I just went out and checked, and I have some scrap MDF we could try it out on.

I forgot, you mentioned insert. You/we could make one, just bring your old insert.

George

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I dont really know, but I would be kind of cautious of spinning mdf at that high rate of speed. It a piece was to come loose then it would be like a flying bullet. I would just go buy the metal one. that's my .02

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Sears sells the 10" sanding disk with 5/8" arbor hole. Costs about $20 IIRC and comes with sandpaper on it. They also sell the PSA disks for it. If you have a cummins sale happening near you, you can get a Ridgid disk for about half that price. It comes with 80gr on one side and 120 on the other. I bought one at the last Cummins sale but have yet to put it on the saw. I would never try to spin MDF at 3650 rpm, especially of I was going to apply side pressure to it.

Go

jerrye

New User
Jerry
IIRC, shouldn't a sanding disc for a table saw have a bevel on the side, toward the edge, allowing a slight tilt so as to only have a small area of the disc in contact with the work? If you use a flat disc wouldn't it grab too much of the work and make a missle out of it?:eusa_doh: This thread interests me as I have a Ryobi BTS10 tabletop saw that I was trying to come up with a use for. This might just work!:eusa_danc

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You could take a plywood blade (not thin rim) and mount it backward in saw. Then carefully grind teeth off with either a file, or old grinding wheel ( the one you removed from you bench grinder when you put the new white/ pink ones on.) Go to Klingspor's and look in the sandpaper bargin box and get some paper and a bottle/ spray can of disk adhesive. Using ground blade as a guide cut some disks to fit. Punch out center hole for arbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors