Table Saw Cross Cut Sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I am thinking of building a cross cut sled for my table saw. I plan to make it from 3/4 plywood that I have left over from previous projects. What are some helpful features of a good cross cut sled?

Thanks
Steve

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The 3/4 is going to make it HEAVY, and you will lose some cutting depth. My first choice is 1/2" MDF core melamine, but it's almost impossible to find in our area. 1/2" baltic birch is my second choice. You have two basic choices, a Norm style panel cutter, or a a box with both front and back fences. If you do a panel cutter, you really ought to consider making a "drop off table" to support cut offs. For runners, you have more than one choice. The cheapest is just a piece of hardwood, planed to fit your miter slots. But the wood will move with changes in moisture. Next choice is HDPE / UHMW. You can also plane this to fit. Be sure and predrill and counter sink mounting screw holes. If you don't, or you over tighten mounting screws, this will cause bar to bulge at screw location. Your other choice is metal bars. You can buy several different brands, with Kreg being my favorite. Most have set screws that allow adjustment to fit your miter slot. On the fences, be sure and cut a small dado along the very bottom edge so a piece of saw dust doesn't throw you off.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I started with the plans from ShopNotes #99. One side is adjustable, so you can use it with dado blades (I made my box-joint jig to sit on the sled). My design is based on theirs, but it can cut up to 36" on its own, and up to 66" with the extension. I used 1/2" BB ply to keep it light. The Kreg top-track and flip-stop were a bit pricey (but nice!) -- but you can build your own relatively easily.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Steve you can expect to make 6 or more sleds in your woodworking career. And don't hesitate to cut one up for something else a month after you made it. Reason being; no single sled is perfect for everything you want to do, so make it cheap, quick and square. Use metal slides and you can take them from sled to sled. Having said that, I do have 4 sleds that I have never cut down.

Here's some pics​

Fly_Leaf_Table_3_1.JPG

View image in gallery

Panel sled - big sucker to hold big pieces for squaring off (Shown squaring a table top)​

Small_Sled_2.jpg

View image in gallery

Small parts sled - for little parts you wish to keep your fingers but still have a way to cut them.​

Dubby_Taper_Jig.JPG

View image in gallery

Taper/edge squaring sled - just what it says​

Universal_Tablesaw_Jig.jpg

View image in gallery

Universal TS jig - best miter gage I've ever had​

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Steve you can expect to make 6 or more sleds in your woodworking career. And don't hesitate to cut one up for something else a month after you made it. Reason being; no single sled is perfect for everything you want to do, so make it cheap, quick and square. Use metal slides and you can take them from sled to sled./QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever heard the sled subject addressed more elegantly and accurately.

Some of my best sleds have gone to the scrap bin and some of my worst are still with me after 30 years. That's just the nature of shop jigs for building things.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My current sled is very similar to the one in Joe's first pic, although I really like the one in his second pic. Way cool! :icon_thum Here's a pic of mine in use on a recent project.

If you want to make a quick trip over to Liberty, I'll be glad to show you how simple it is.

Bill

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Best crosscut sled I have ever used/owned is the 10" 1960 Delta Milwaukee RAS my step-father gave me. Still going strong and does about everything a sled can do and then some. I do admit that it is limited to a 14" cross cut, and that once in a blue moon I wish it would cut a little more, but 99% of the time it is great for what I need. But I have never needed more than one (and never four or even six). :gar-Bi

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
I have a friend of mine that has a manufactured sled that he will sell for $40. It's made from aluminum and it's made to fit almost any saw. It's a double miter rail sled. I don't know who made it originally, right now it's set up for a powermatic 66.

Having a sled is, I think, one of the best things you can do for 'you' when it comes to working on your table saw. They make cutting so much safer and easier, I recommend a sled for all of my friends that don't have one. An once you make one, you may find yourself making several sleds to help with miters or just quick cutting. Anyway, good luck with your sled. One thing, 3/4" plywood just makes the sled very heavy. Try for using 1/2 stuff.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Thank you everyone for responding to my request.

The pictures have been especially helpful. The Wood Whisperer demonstration of the 5-cut method for squaring up the sled was very clear had helpful. I had not considered the weight of 3/4" plywood being a major factor. The collective group comes through again.:thumbs_up

Thanks
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS